Go With Math Small Group?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Oct 9, 2013.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 9, 2013

I teach first grade and math time is always so HARD for my students. I try and do twenty minutes of whole group but they cannot handle it. Should I try and just do 10 minutes and then have them do their group work and meet with my small groups longer and hit more content? Please let me know your thoughts? Btw, my math block is in the afternoon. Any advice would be great!

3. Sensubean

Sensubean New Member

Oct 9, 2013

Have you done a lot of research on math groups and if they are effective/how they should be conducted?
    I would suggest dedicating more time to figuring out what are the problems from past studies and research.

4. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Oct 9, 2013

I was hoping to hear what veteran teachers are doing? This is my first year of teaching. I think I have to go towards more group work because students are having such a hard time with whole class instruction. I would really appreciate any responses from veteran teachers!!!

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2013

I teach first grade and depending on the class 20 minutes can be a lot of time especially at the beginning of the year. I tend to do five minute instruction then move to an activity with math. If I am giving direct instruction which takes much time of time I have them actively following my instruction on paper or with manipulatives and have them giving input on the strategies they use with critique from their peers while doing it.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 10, 2013

If I have to give direct instruction, it helps to have the kids using whiteboards or paper on clipboards to keep their attention.

I do very little whole group though - most of my instruction for math is in my small groups.