go to maryland!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jspader02, Apr 24, 2009.

1. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

yesterday i went on an interview in maryland - after my interview, the lady told me she would reccommend me for hiring, but they aren't sure what is avaliable yet. my next step was to meet with the main HR person - so I made an appointment in the same day (since I drove from PA). she basically said that they will greatly extend a contract to me, pending on the vacancies. i am to call her in a few weeks, unless she calls me first because by then they will know exactly what vacancies there will be. she also said to let her know if i find another position in the mean time (YA RIGHT! LIKE THAT WILL HAPPEN!) so that they know what's going on.

PS - while I was waiting for the HR person to copy some of my documents, I read a memo that was taped to her desk - it said something about that the district now has 65%(ish) highly qualified teachers now! 72% in the needed subject areas like math. around my house, they ONLY hire highly qualified teachers to teach. apparently maryland NEEDS teachers that badly...

so as long as you're "highly qualified" and are certified somewhere - they'll snag you up! i even asked if i would have to take any classes or more praxis tests because their states certification is a little different....the HR lady was just shaking her head "no" like i was crazy lol

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2009

I wish we could relocate!

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

I am willing to move but not to Maryland. It is tooooooo close to my sister!!!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2009

Congratulations on the good interview! I hope it works out for you! Next year if I don't have a job I am seriously thinking of Maryland as it's not terribly far from where I am now (only about five to seven hours depending on where in Maryland as opposed to 30 hour drive when I moved last year). This year, however, I'm going to stay within an hour or so of where my family lives, but maybe I'll join you next year.

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 24, 2009

Where in Maryland!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have applied there and am willing to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 24, 2009

You must be applying to school districts near Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay. I know school districts where I live are not desperate for teachers at all. It's going to be very hard for me to get a job.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 24, 2009

Is it the Baltimore area? I think I recall hearing an NPR news report a little while ago that they are struggling with hiring and maintaining certified teachers. I knew someone last year who relocated from PA to MD because she got an offer there and no nibbles at all in PA.

I hope they contact you soon with the exact grade level you'd love to teach!

9. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 24, 2009

The places I have applied on Maryland are not really hiring at all. I am so interested in knowing where they are. I know nothing about the area but I can get info from people who live there.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2009

Last year before I accepted a job in Colorado, I was pretty far-along in the process at Anne Arundel County (at my screening interview the people that I interviewed with told me that if it weren't for budget problems they would have sent me to elementary schools that day to interview). And after I accepted my job I got a call for an interview at a school in Saint Mary's County, who I had a job fair interview with earlier in the year that went really well. After how my year turned out I wish that I had waited to get a job a Maryland last year, but I know that there is no guarantee that I would have ended up getting one, although I think I would have had a decent chance. Also, I don't know if they're having one this year, but I went to the job fair in Charles County last year, MsBee and it was very well organized and you got to sign-up with principals for interviews.

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2009

It is fairly common for PA teachers to go to Md. (Baltimore area) to work for several years to get some experience and then they move back to PA. My grade level alone has 2 teachers who did that.

12. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 24, 2009

I would love to go to job fairs there but I am so far away. I did apply to Charles County though. Haven't heard anything from them.