Go slow to go fast/The first 6 weeks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 27, 2013

This is my 6th year. In year's past, I have gotten antsy with the curriculum ahead and didn't do enough procedures and rules at the start of the year. I paid for it in the end.

This year, I have held very firm to procedures and rules. We are still practicing, role-playing, discussing, and learning my expectations every day. I can see it's starting to pay off :thumb:, albeit very slowly.

My question is, some days I worry about time. On days we have to put away our notebooks and take them out again because we were talking too much, or lining up 5 times because it wasn't perfect, or stopping centers to re-group and go back, I worry I am losing time. The mornings are really good. After lunch I lose them FAST. It's been awful some days, but it is slowly getting better.

In a sense, this is pretty new to me. I've never been this willful with my expectations for my kids for this long. I used to let a lot more slide and I'm feeling insecure about appropriate pacing. For example, my team has already launched 4 of our 5 Daily 5 centers last week, whereas I've barely launched 3. I keep reminding myself, "go slow to go fast"

...Right? :blush:

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 27, 2013

I've been taking my time this year, too and it's really paying off. I have been really firm about how things should look and we are still practicing, too. I have started teaching things and don't feel 'behind' (the blessings of a super group of kids!). But next week we are going to review a couple of procedures again.

I had to change my schedule. The afternoons just weren't working for us. I have learned a few things about my class and our schedule is running much smoother now. I start with center type activities in the morning and tighten up the day as we go. It gets more and more structured as the day goes. A retired teacher told me she always started the day with more choice (play time!) and gradually gave less and less choice as the day progressed. I thought that was a little crazy - I often gave more choice at the end of the day when everything was done and they were less focused. But she said first thing in the morning they are able to make their best choices and as they get tired they need more help making choices, so you give fewer until there are none by the end of the day. So far it's working!

4. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Sep 27, 2013

Stick with it! You want your focus to be on time spent LEARNING- not necessarily time spent teaching. Even though you are spending less time on teaching this time, you are not necessarily missing out on time that the children are actually learning.

Plus, you don't sound too far behind. If you only had one center started, I might be concerned, but you sound like you are doing well.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 27, 2013

I did the same this year as well, focusing especially on rules and procedures for about a week, and then the next week on how we learn and growth and fixed mindsets, and why science should be learned.

I don't have any students this year complaining about why they need to learn science if they're not going to be scientists, all of them want to have a growth mindset (except for a few of the ones who are used to getting good grades without trying), and I have had nearly no classroom management problems for about 5 weeks so far. The few instances that did happen were easily dealt with and ended just the way I'd hoped them to.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2013

3 out of 5 isn´t bad....Keep doing what you´re doing. I think it will pay off.

7. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Sep 27, 2013

Stick with it! I did this year and was able to have all of the Daily Five routines launched by this week. It was week six for us. The time you spend perfecting routines and procedures now will equal less time spent on discipline issues in the future.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2013

I 100% believe that you need to go slow in the beginning. When you look back from May and realize you still have a firm handle on your kids and your class is still rocking and rolling, you'll thank yourself.

That being said, it's still realllllly frustrating when you realize you're "behind."