Go Noodle?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 1stGradeRocks, Aug 16, 2019.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 16, 2019

In the past, I have loved giving my first graders a brain break/chance to move through using Go Noodle. This year, I have about half of my class that will just sit with their heads on their desks and look like they are being tortured when I've tried to do Go Noodle. :rolleyes: The other half is energetically participating. I've never had this issue, and I'm not sure what to do. Should I make everyone participate? Quit trying to do Go Noodle?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 16, 2019

Last year was the 1st yr in many where I had kids do this too. I had a real high rate of kids with extreme problems last year. 1 boy was just self conscious, but the others were seriously bothered by it.
    I love brain breaks too and half of your kids are benefitting. I started doing them when my severe kids got pulled. Sometimes, I'd put the head hangers at a different table with an assignment, pull the ones who loved the breaks up front. Do you have kids with a lot of problems?

Backroads likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2019

I have a similar issue. About 1/2 to 2/3 want to participate, but the remainder just want to go to their desks and draw. I decided to allow my students who want to draw to do that. I just set some guidelines that they have to clean up immediately when the brain break ends or I will take that choice away from them. It's only been one week, but it's rarely been a problem. I have also found that the more brain breaks I do, the less they want to participate in them. So I'm trying to limit them to only during the times when we've been sitting too long together on the carpet or when I can see that they really need to get their wiggles out... or when I just need a minute to myself before transitioning into teaching something else.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Tired Teacher and readingrules12 like this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2019

I use Go Noodle for brain breaks, and I agree with bella84 on this. Let the students decide if they are going to participate with the videos or not. I know shy boys in particular can feel uncomfortable with any singing or dancing in front of peers, even if it is very simple. This can be true at any age. Let those who like to sing, dance, and chat to Go Noodle get the most out of it. The others can enjoy the songs in their heads while coloring/drawing knowing they have a teacher who understands them.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 17, 2019

I was one of those kids that hated whole body movement stuff. I was a super self-conscious kid. Even something slow like yoga - I would either halfass it or just not do it. You can let those kids just color. That's a good brain break too :)

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2019

This is an interesting take above. I always knew a couple kids every year were self conscious or shy.
    At least, they'd get up and stretch a bit though.
    Last year though was strange how many kids did not want anything to do w/it. I had others who loved it. The class had 20 boys and 6 girls.
    It seemed like a lot were truly tortured by the sound like 1st Grade Rocks mentioned. The ones who it tormented most were a group of the boys. We'd get in trouble if kids were coloring in our class for anything other than a scheduled art class.
    Can anyone think of something other than coloring that is academic they could do for a few minutes? It seemed like the ones who needed to move the most were the ones who did not want to get up and move.

otterpop likes this.
  8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 17, 2019

You could do simple or fun crossword puzzles, word searches, easy worksheets from their previous grades as review

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2019

Easy reviews sound like a good plan. :) Maybe I could get them to do it at a counter to at least get them up. There are no chairs there. They need to move, but standing would be better than nothing. :) .
    Our P HATES crosswords and word searches and made it very clear that he does not want to see them in our school. Oh, his face would be red if he walked in and saw one! lol Not going there. :)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 17, 2019

Things like that were NOT a brain break for me. They actually got me anxious and more keyed up. I’d rather read or color as a break.

ChildWhisperer and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2019

Bingo!!! Another light went on for me! Part of the problem for me last year was that I did them more frequently than in years past because of the sheer numbers of kids with short attention spans and other issues. It makes more sense now.
    This is interesting how many teachers experienced them and were uncomfortable with them. When I was a kid, I'd have loved a chance to move because we sat for long periods of time.

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 17, 2019

I remember LOVING free reading time

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2019

Oh, I was probably a bad kid in some ways....lol I remember turning my book upside down during silent reading time. I think I was being passive aggressive because we had some mean teachers when/where I grew up.
    Some were nice too. When/where I grew up, 40 kids were in classes and teachers made 500 bucks a month in public school. A lot were probably angry. :) Also, they were only allowed 2 permanent markers a year. My mom was a teacher when I was young. That's how I know about the markers. They were seriously kept in a vault and the P had to give them to you.
    She actually led a strike for that district. I am not sure what their demands were. Maybe they wanted 3 markers a year. :) Joking! Lower class sizes and more money probably! :)

14. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 17, 2019

I make my students who don't want to do it march in place. We have to move. They hate it but the point is, to get a little energy boost!

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2019

Marching is a good idea. It requires less coordination probably than some of the ones we do. I just really do not want the kids to hate it. To me, they are fun breaks. :) You are right that kids need to move!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2019

We are mandated to provide 20 minutes of physical activity, outside of recesses, on days when the students don't have Phys Ed. They don't all participate enthusiastically, but they need to be up out of their seats and moving a bit.

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  17. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Aug 17, 2019

I had a group last year that was mixed on Go Noodle (although it was actually the boys who *loved* the dancing and some of the girls who didn't), and I did the same as others above have mentioned. If they wanted to dance, they could. If they didn't they could draw, read, write on the whiteboard, or just walk around. We also had a box of fidgets they could use during that time. They knew as soon as the song was over, we all we back to work, and no one ever had a hard time with it.

bella84 and readingrules12 like this.
  18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 18, 2019

I wish we had that here because our PE time is very limited.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2019

Our kids have 2 x 50 minute periods of Phys Ed each week; everyone wishes it could be more, or that we didn't have to double-up classes in the gym, but there are only so many periods in a week. (The gym teacher does open the gym every day at recess different grade level groups each day for the students to play organized games. He supervises, but grade 7 and 8 students run the activities.)

20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 18, 2019

We only have 30 minutes 2 x a week. I think kids need some type of PE daily. It doesn't have to be in the gym or with a PE teacher. We are not allowed to do some extras due to the P's views on loss of instructional time. I have had years where kids just need to run! :) Last yr being one of those yrs. :)

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 18, 2019

Administrators have such different views.

For our welcome back meeting for teachers, a few of my presentation slides focused on the importance of brain breaks. Whether it's chair yoga, Simon Says, Go Noodle, or running a quick lap around the playground--we (adults and kids) need to increase blood and oxygen flow throughout the day. Additionally, brain breaks help increase students' on-task behavior because they get a moment to get the wiggles out.

When kids are in their seats for super long periods of times, their brains eventually shut off. Give 'em a brain break, people! :)

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2019

If they don't want to dance thats ok, but they must get up and out of their chair. If they stand there and twiddle their thumbs I am ok with that!

23. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 24, 2019

I tell them they do need to stand but they don't need to dance.

My students are like this as well this year! About 60% love it and 40% seem bored or too cool for GoNoodle.

Try doing one of the fitness ones instead of the songs. And you'll get better participation if you are doing the moves too.

24. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 24, 2019

That's exactly right! I get more overall participation, too, when personally leading a stretch break.

Putting on an educational video can be a good break if you have access to Youtube. It can reinforce what you're teaching. There are several great songs for phonics, grammar, and math.

25. Economacy

Economacy New Member

Aug 28, 2019

Yeah, you can go Noodle as it acts as a brain break. However, few may feel uncomfortable infront of peers.

26. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Aug 31, 2019

So, I am having a different problem with Go Noodle this year. I am at a new school teaching fourth grade. When we try Go Noodle, my class goes crazy, loud talking, shouting, running around the room. It doesn't matter if we do the dance ones or if we do a mindfulness one. It doesn't matter if I let them pick or I pick. They talk over the video and we can't hear what the video says. I have told them what I expect before we start a video but they can't follow directions when a Go Noodle is on. They are also extremely hyped up after a Go Noodle. They really want Go Noodle but this week I have not done it because I told them the purpose is to get the wiggles out, or to calm their brains with a mindfulness video so they can concentrate on school, and that is not what has been happening. They get two 20 minute recesses every day, two snack breaks (one ten minute and one 5 minute) spaced throughout the day and a 45 minute special every day. We also move from desks to the floor regularly. Overall, their talking behavior is slowly getting better during the day. Do you think this amount of movement and breaks in the day are enough without the Go Noodle?

27. readingrules12

Aug 31, 2019

Yes, I say with some classes Go Noodle helps and with others it doesn't. It sounds like your class would be better off with Go Noodle being a rare special occurrence (maybe once a month or once a quarter) than using it frequently. With some classes who get hyped up easily, I put on classical music at 60 bpm. That has saved me with some very hyper classes.

otterpop and Tired Teacher like this.
  28. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

How do you find that music?

29. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2019

Kagan sells some music that is specifically designed to have so many beats per minute.

readingrules12 and otterpop like this.
  30. readingrules12

Sep 4, 2019

Yes, I got my CD from Kagan, and it works great. Also, if you type in 60bpm in YouTube that works as well.

otterpop likes this.
  31. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 4, 2019

Interesting. I will try that. Thanks!