go from classroom sub to bus aide?? Also, another question.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by thesub, Sep 19, 2012.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 19, 2012

Today district A called to see if I could sub as a bus aide tomorrow. But happily I have a classroom job for tomorrow in district B and I declined. Now, dist. A is very competitive and full of young teachers working as aides to get a foothold in this dist. In future, should I take bus aide jobs in A? I am not certified and I am happy being a subsitute though I'd love to sub in A everyday. It pays better and it is my kids' school district. But I'd rather be in the classroom and being a bus aide does not appeal to me.

Also, district A insists on orientation for subs and if we skip this, "we will not be allowed to sub there." If I get a paid job in dist B, I am thinking of not attending the orientation in A and see what happens. B has been calling me regularly. Is this a good idea? Will I incur the wrath of HR in district A? There are over 300 subs in dist. A and I am way down in the sub hierarchy since I am not certified.

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. subczy

subczy Rookie

Sep 19, 2012

Just do it

I woudl go ahead and attend the orientation for all the dist you wan tto work for. It should be in your file and carry over from year to year (might ask about this). Then sub when and where you would like to. If you want to turn down jobs as bus aid turn them down. If you prefer one dist over another because your children attend then try to get jobs there.

Soemtimes not being certified isn't what will get you hired - there are skills subs can have that are unique - work on your craft as a sub and be the best you can be. THAT is what will make the difference.

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 21, 2012

Thank you.

I see your point and I hope I can get a 1/2 day job on Monday.
    Thanks again,
    thesub