Go for your passion or not?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Jun 29, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

I have to make a tough decision in regards to additional schooling(grad school).

Would you go for something you are passionate about even though it will be very expensive and take close to 4 years? This would mean you have to push something things back in your life.

Would you go for something that you are not passionate about but could see your self doing. Basically settle? It can be completed in 1 1/2 to 2 years and you can get mostly the whole thing payed for you.

Or would you go for your passion in another route but not get the masters? I almost feel like if I am going to go to school extra then I need to get a masters and not settle on a 2nd BA or a 2 year program. Right?

Thoughts?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

Could you provide more details? I'm a bit confused.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

I don't know if I can explain it any better. My passion is teaching. But I also want to go to grad school to teach in another specialty.

So should I go to grad school for something specialized and attend for 4year or more and take out more loans since the school is so expensive. Or should I just got to grad school for Early Child-Elem Ed(which is my undergrad) and it take 2 years or less and I can get it 50% paid for.

hope this helps. Such a hard decision.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2010

Most grad programs can be completed in 2 years...Is there a grad program in your specialty that you can do in 2 years? My undergrad was not in education at all, but I completed my Masters in 2 years- it was an intensive program, very thorough, well-respected...why is your program 4 years?

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

they say it will take 4 years since i do not have an undergrad in the specialty. so i will have to take extra classes

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

I say go for your passion. In my opinion, if what you're getting your Master's degree in isn't a passion for you, you shouldn't invest your time. My undergrad degree is in education and when I go to grad school, I will be getting my degree in something that is a passion of mine. It's still related to education, but it's totally different in some aspects that I'll have to take a few background leveling courses in order to start the program (will take about a semester to take leveling courses).

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2010

I say go for your passion too...life's too short not to. I hv a Masters, but want to get a 2nd & my undergrad degree isn't in the field I'm switching gears to, but I think I'll enjoy this line of work better, so I'm in the process of doing it.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 29, 2010

LOL. I just had this conversation today.

I am sooooo burnt out on going to school. A lot of it has to do with the fact that my B.A. and my grad really were almost the same program but had different names. My B.A. is "Communication Sciences and Disorders" but I took the "deaf ed track/minor" though it isn't listed like that. My MA is Deaf Ed. I had to have 10 pre-reqs before I got into the Deaf Ed. program. Those courses were actually different but the Deaf Ed. ones were almost identical to the ones I already took (all with different names) except for 2 courses. So I'm burnt out after going to school for TEN years for the same stuff and still don't have my certificate. The first degree wasn't a "teacher prep program." I am going to go after the praxis this month and see if the state will accept me with what I currently already have. I don't have much longer to go before getting my M.A. but I'm sooo burnt out.

So I was telling someone that eventually I will have to take courses to keep up my certification and after I take a few reading courses I want to take some Early Childhood courses. I told them that I wish I had either ECE or Elementary. I prefer ECE but Elementary is more flexible-job wise. Then again, why even go for a degree at all. That just means someone telling me what to take again. Yet I hate to take courses (even continuing ones) that don't go towards something. So I get all conflicted.

I've been going to school for so long that most of me wants to tell you to take what you are passionate about so you don't dread school but then again, having to go back for sooo long would be the issue for me. In fact, I had a chance to switch to Elementary Ed but I didn't want to extend my plans for another year. I knew I was already getting burnt out and I've already waited TEN years getting this far.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2010

cutNglue, the 2nd Masters I'm aspiring to get is an MS in Comm Dis & Sci w/ emphasis in SLP. (I think we knew that about ea other in the substitute teaching thread. :))

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 29, 2010

I wouldn't mind going back for the following types of courses:
    *More reading courses
    *Math (need more knowledge in this--my weakness)
    *ECE method courses
    *Phonics
    *Teaching reading through phonics

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 30, 2010

Go for the passion! Maybe get the first degree, then work a bit and save some money, then go back to school. Life is so short, full of stresses. working your passion makes it all the better.

Read The Element.

You are still young, yes? No children or responsibilities other than yourself? Go for the passion, and try to find ways to do it without loans. Work 2 jobs if you have to, so you can save up for the extra ed.

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I am with you cutnglue. I would hate to go back to school for soooo long.

Bonneb- I already have a BA degree so I am working but I don't make enough to even save anything. This is why I need to get my masters soon. I make enough to pay my bills and thats it.
    I have no kids.

I have a lot of thinking to do.

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 1, 2010

Have you looked into grants? There are a lot out there. It sure is hard to make these kinds of decisions. But if you decide to go for your passion, it is a lot easier when you are younger and esp. have no children. Good luck!