Go for it??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissScrimmage, Apr 22, 2012.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 22, 2012

Currently I work in a wonderful school - great colleagues, teaching a grade I enjoy and overall have had a great start to my career. I've been at my school for three years, and haven't been looking for a change. The only downfall to my job is that I drive an hour one way.

I just looked at job postings for the district I live in, and the school down the street from my house has 3 openings posted. This is a highly competitive and sought after district. I would be able to walk to work, while still teaching a grade level I love. Of course, there is a slim chance I will even get an interview. Should I go for it?? I really wasn't looking for a change, but a shorter (or none at all) drive is appealing!!

The application process is quite detailed. Also, how do I approach my current principal about this, since I will need her to be a reference??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

What's your answer when the new school asks on an interview why you are leaving a school where you would have presumably gotten tenure?

These are tough times in education...not many would give up tenure at a place they love for a slightly better commute. If its what's in your heart though, go for it.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2012

I would go for it! The joy of being close to home is something that I wouldn't trade. I would just explain that you wanted to move closer to home.

5. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 22, 2012

I take it that moving closer to your current job isn't an option? That sounds like your best bet. While "working closer to home" is a valid reason, I would not want to lose a job I love and go back into this market.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2012

For me, leaving my school to be closer to home (which is an issue for me too, as I live 45 minutes away) would be something I'd consider, but early on in my career. Now that I've been where I am for 8 years, I wouldn't want to leave in this job market and start over again.

You have to decide if this job market is enough for you to risk your job. If it is, then I say go for it. But for me I dreaded the budget time every year when non-tenureds were possibly being let go.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 22, 2012

I think you should go ahead and apply--you never know what can happen. Two hours a day in the car is a lot! As for your principal, simply state that you are looking for something closer to home.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2012

I would talk to your principal. I've been in a similar position. I was very honest with my principal. I told him that I wanted to apply for a few different positions (and told him the reason why), but if I didn't get any of them, I wanted to stay. I told him I loved being in my position, but only wanted to apply because of my personal reasons. He was very supportive of me, and just asked for a certain amount of notice if I had to leave. I had a very good relationship with him though, so it made it easy to talk to him.

9. Sunflower883

Sunflower883 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012

I'm facing the same situation also. A position in the district where I live just opened a position for math. I'm happy at my school, well, just besides a couple of things like the long commute and no air conditioning.

I just completed the application and it took me about 10 hours to do it. It's a very difficult district to get into but at least I tried. Good luck and keep us posted.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 23, 2012

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to stay put for now. I am very happy at my school, and finally getting settled into a grade level. No point in changing things simply for the sake of change.

FWIW, I wouldn't have given up tenure - I would have seen if anything could have happened before I had to resign.

11. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 23, 2012

I think in this economy I would keep a job I loved if the commute was under an hour. I believe once your commute pushes over an hour (especially by automobile) then quality of life starts to suffer and it isn't worth it. I know that if I had tenure I wouldn't want to be out there looking again. Heck, even if you got this job you might be on the chopping block after one year.

I would stay put unless something falls in your lap. In a perfect world we could all work in the perfect school, walk to work in five minutes, etc....but it isn't a perfect world :-(