Glue Sticks -- which ones last?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miller59, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Nov 1, 2011

We are flying through our glue sticks! I'm finally getting the kids to not turn them up ALL THE WAY! And to - almost - trust that they really can just put a bit of glue to hold most everything.

Thought I would ask all you experts which ones last the longest? The skinny ones? The fat ones? The purple ones? A particular brand? I have to get new ones very soon and would like to shop smart.

3. pabef

pabef Comrade

Nov 1, 2011

I was having the same problem. I found that the name brands work better than store brands. However, our kindergarten requires that the children know how to use liquid school glue, so I have switched to that this year.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2011

I think liquid glue is a skill you need for life anyway.

I don't think that it really matters what sort of glue stick you look at, it is about the cap putting on and the act of not leaving it out when you leave the center. That said, I only by the two real brands of glue stick...AVERY and ELMERS and I don't really like the purple. That is just me, it seems smooshier and it seems that the kids think it is paint more often.

We have glitter glue, white glue and glue sticks out all the time in the art and writing centers. They have to learn white glue is for gluing things to paper, glue stick is only for gluing paper to paper and glitter glue is for decoration but doesn't hold well enough to hold a thing.

In summary....I dislike glue sticks....I think you need to know more than one way to glue....and for economy use wet glue when you can. Doesn't take much more time to dry than a painting does.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2011

We only use Elmer's glue sticks as well. I buy them during the back to school sales when I can get them for 10-15 cents each. I usually buy about 500 of them and that gets us through the school year.

6. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Nov 1, 2011

My 3 year olds only use liquid glue. They do just fine with it, and it's far more effective than glue sticks.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 1, 2011

I agree....although as I said...I am totally jaded. Liquid glue also has all those other uses, like add liquid watercolor too it and you have paint! Can't do that with glue sticks! There is a reason to learn to use the sticks, but I agree the wet stuff sticks WAY better for WAY less. I just grab a Costco allotment of the glue sticks when the year starts and we are golden.

8. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 2, 2011

Add liquid watercolor to glue? I have to try that. I do add acrylic paint into glue bottles, then stir for colored glue which the children love.

I only use liquid glue in both my 3's class and my afternoon art enrichment classes. From the beginning they are taught "just a dot, not a lot" and " one thin line holds just fine". For heavy collage items they use blobs.

9. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Nov 2, 2011

We have a lesson on how to use glue sticks, modelling how far to twist up, then glue a circle in each corner and one for the middle, twist down and cap on. Having said that, it got to a point where the kids were not using the glue sticks correctly (some kids would cover the whole page with glue) that the stock of glue sticks would not last the year. (We have Bostick glue, it's good but it's expensive (US$3 per stick). This year we were given UHU white blue sticks and it is useless. Papers fall out of books and pieces fall off papers that have been cut and glued.)

For a time I mixed 'cell mix' (a cellulose based glue that's like wallpaper paste). One tablespoon gave me 500ml of glue. I transferred the cell mix into paint pots with glue brushes and we used that for 2 months. I made a large ice-cream tub of it and would fill up the glue pots from there. Again, there was a lesson in how to use it and once we were so far into the school year that I could be sure we wouldn't run out of glue sticks, I introduced the glue sticks back into the classroom.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 2, 2011

Same way, I add it to the "ends" of the bottles when things are a little dry and hard to get out. It will make soup faster....due to being watery compared to acrylic. Cleans up easily.

11. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Nov 3, 2011

Thanks all.

We do use liquid glue -- but only when supervised. Maybe I need to rethink that. I usually dilute the glue, put it in a little container, and let them use brushes to apply it. A little does go a long way.

12. AleighJc

AleighJc Rookie

Nov 4, 2011

The larger ones last longer then the small ones for us. The small ones seem to dry up and get hard pretty quickly.