Glue Sticks-drying out?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsNickle, Jul 16, 2007.

1. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 16, 2007

If I buy glue sticks in bulk..is there a way to keep them from drying out before getting to use them?:confused:

3. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

Good question! Can't wait to hear if there's a solution to this one!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

You could keep them in good quality Ziplock bags. I wonder if sticking them in the fridge would do any good...

5. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Jul 16, 2007

fridge hmm? BTW my name is Cassie too!:D

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Cassie is a fabulous name. It's ancient Greek, you know?

And I don't know if the fridge idea will work at all. I've neither heard of it nor tried it myself. But I would imagine that the damp/cold would prevent the glue sticks from drying out so fast.

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I never have the problem of drying out glue since I am alway running out of them by February. I order at least 30 huge glue sticks in my classroom budget and buy about 50 smaller ones when they go on sale. I often have the children buy more glue sticks when we run out. I guess it depends on what grade you teach and how much glue you use.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

There's a tip...we always buy the JUMBO size glue sticks for Kinder. They last (almost) forever, and stay appropriately sticky right up until the end! The small ones, such as what you get at Dollar Tree, do not hold up as well.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I buy them in bulk for when I scrapbook. I have never had any of them dry out. Only if I leave the cap off :) I always buy the elmers kind when school starts, because they are really cheap when school starts up. Maybe the cheaper ones dry out faster?

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 16, 2007

I am picturing a cartoon in my head:
    man is standing there in kitchen with food items all over the counters and tables, looking into a refrigerator FILLED with glue sticks - caption over the wife says: but honey, they were on sale and I don't want them to dry out by Christmas *snicker

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

Tasha -- along with the batteries and the film (film? what's that?) :D I have seen people put all kinds of things in the fridge to preserve them... :rolleyes:

I keep mine in a ziploc bag and have had no problems yet. I'm talking about my personal stash, which I don't use so often, not the school ones which get used up before they have a chance to dry out.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

glue sticks: Make sure the lids are on tight, put in a ziploc bag, squeeze all the air out before zipping..:rolleyes:

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

So, for those of us stocking up on the two-packs at Wal-mart, would it be better to leave them in the original packaging until we are ready to use them?

14. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

This is just a thought- but what if you dampen a sponge and then throw that in the bag with the gluesticks? You wouldn't want to develop mold so I am thinking very lightly dampen. That would retain moisture in the bag to help with the gluesticks. This is just a guess!?