Glogster

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachgrade5, Jul 26, 2010.

1. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I just signed up to use Glogster in my classroom next school year. I am thinking about taking my students to the computer lab the first week of school and having them develop an all about me presentation to learn how to use it. If you use glogster, what type of activities did you do with your class? I can think of quite a few activities across the curriculum, though a lot of it may have to be completed at home. I don't think that will be a problem as many students have access to computers with Internet. Thanks in advance for any ideas on how you used glogster in your classroom.

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 26, 2010

Ooooh, good idea about Glogster. I know how to use it but never have

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2010

It's blocked at my school...so many things are blocked its quite annoying :/

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2010

What exactly is it? Never heard of it.

6. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I have had this problem at my school also. Luckily all I have to do is go to my principal and tell her what I want it for. She can then have it unblocked. It is very frustrating when you go to use a website and you can't. I always have to check links before I do anything with my students. Very frustrating!

7. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

I am pretty new to Glogster, so I will tell you what I think it is and how it can be used. It is a way to set up interactive activities on the Internet. Students can created "posters" of information which can include video, music, links, etc. I have an educational Glogster which means I can assign username and passwords to each student in my class. I can then set up an assignment. The students can then work on the assignment at school or at home. I have the ability to grade the assignment. Students can message me with questions but they can't message each other. They can make comments on one anothers glogs but I can see and monitor what they are saying to one another.

I like the fact that they can't send private messages to one another. I had a major problem with students last year when I had a wikispace. I liked wikispace, but I couldn't control what the students were sending each other in private messages. It became a big headache when girls started getting nasty to one another. I was very disappointed with my class concerning wikispaces. Well that was a tangent. I am looking forward to using glogster with my class next year. I think it will be fun for the students to present their knowledge in interesting ways.

The link is http://edu.glogster.com/ to find out more information.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2010

That seems like a great idea.

9. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 26, 2010

I have a couple of assignments planned for Glogster this year. The first is an autobiographical glog during the first week of school that the kids can then present on the projector. They'll also be doing at least one glog as a book talk featuring songs, pictures, and whatnot that they believe represent the book they've read. There are a ton of them available to view on the site that offer a wide range of ideas for using glogs.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

I read of a neat idea yesterday online where the students choose six or seven main events in their lives, and then choose songs to represent each event. It becomes a "soundtrack" of their life. They design an album cover and then write a paragraph on each event and explaining the significance of the song. That might work with Glogster? :)

11. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

That is a cool idea! I would probably only have them choose 2 or 3 events just because of time! Thanks for the idea!

12. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

I thought it was cool, too...glad to pass it on. :) Thank YOU, though, for starting this thread and sharing Glogster with us!! I have been playing around with it for the last couple of hours. It is really a fantastic tool, and it has so many neat applications for the classroom. Can't wait to share it with my colleagues and students...once I get the hang of it, that is!! Thanks again SO much!! :)