Globalization lessons

Discussion in 'High School' started by OrangeBlossum, Apr 6, 2008.

1. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

Our 10th grade team has started a new initiative this year: to teach globalization within each Unit. We have 4 units, and so far the lessons have been great.

Our 1st lesson was the introduction of the topic and making the kids realize how connected the world is through products. Also, we showed a ppt with ideas from The World is Flat
    2nd lesson was human rights. basic definitions. Tying the concepts with the recent revolutions activity we completed.
    3rd lesson is coming up after spring break. Ideas include global responsibility.
    4th lesson will involve our Global Summit culmination. Where the students participate in a model united nations simulation after researching specific countries and problems.

Anyhow... I was wondering if any other World history teachers (or really anyone) has started including globalization connections? The kids have been incredibly responsive and are very engaged when learning about modern events. Many are shocked by the issues.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2008

I don't have any suggestions or lessons, but just wanted to say that I think its great that yall are doing this!

4. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Apr 19, 2008

I always have the kids examine their clothing and various items during class to find out where it came from. It really hits home for them when they find out their backpack was made in Bangladesh!

5. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I love this activity... we do something very similar.. it is neat to look at various items, like clothes, ipods/cell phones, shoes (some of our kids wear Uggs, so it is fun to see Aussies up there), then we fill out a map which continents/regions show for the different products. Doesn't take too long, but gives them pause.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2008

I teach a global issues class and that is pretty much all I do.

Here are a few things I plan on using, its a starting point at least.

http://www.facingthefuture.org/Curriculum/DownloadFreeCurriculum/tabid/114/Default.aspx

download the free lessons from this book "Engaging Students Through Global Issues: Activity-Based Lessons and Action Projects"

And NASA's site, mission geography has some cool lessons for high school teachers about feeding the world, adn in light of the current high food prices might be of use to you. http://missiongeography.org/revcrit.htm

These should provide you with stuff for global responsiblity and for your global summit stuff. If you take an issue such as food prices you have all the stuff you need at the mission geography site to create a really relavelant study for your students.

Have fun, let me know if you need more help