Global read aloud

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Aug 5, 2013.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

Sounds really interesting--I think I will be in, just need to read a bit more and take a closer look at the books.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

I did it several years ago, the first year they did it... it was a good experience. I don't know that I can fit it in with what I'm teaching this year though... we'll see.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2013

Out of My Mind is an amazing book if I was teaching an upper grade I'd definitely be into trying that. (Anyone who teaches 4th and above should check the book out even if you're not going to participate it's great for book clubs or just having a book discussion.) I have Marty McGuire in my classroom but I don't see myself wanting to use it as a read aloud.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

First, I think it is a great idea. I really appreciate you sharing this with me. I am seriously going to look into this and also let other teachers know as well.

I also really like Eric Carle for the younger students. I read Out of My Mind and it is one that I have seriously considered using as a read aloud for 5th grade, but I have always decided on other books. It is a great book with a great message. Has anyone ever used this book with their class?

The 5th grade book, Stupid Fast I haven't read yet. Has anyone read that book?

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2013

I'm in! I just ordered Marty McGuire, so I'm ready!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

I just purchased Stupid Fast and Out of My Mind for my e-reader. I'll start one of them tonight and decide which I'll use. I'm teaching a split grade 6/7 class, but a lot of my students are fairly immature. I'll have to see which would be most appropriate for them. The more I think about this--I'm quite excited.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

We read it in our student book club. I even had a representative from Easter Seals come talk to them about what it meant to have cerebral palsy and how they should treat kids who have it.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

This looks really interesting. I am going to check out the K and 1st book (I could go either way since my kids are in between K and first, but are the age of first graders). I also need to be able to fit it into my big idea for the beginning of the school year.

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

Thank you for reminding me of this--Out of My Mind. It's been highly recommended on the past. It's been a few years since I've taught literacy and appreciate any helpful resources and recommendations.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

My daughter's school read Out of My Mind as part of their parent/child book club. One activity we did showed how difficult (and frustrating) it can be to have limited communication. We were put in groups of four and had to complete a task without speaking or writing. One person in the group couldn't see (blindfold), one couldn't use her hands. I forget the other limitations.