glazed eyes after writing time

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGradeNewbie, Sep 12, 2007.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

My kids have writing from 1:30-2:00 with the writing teacher and then we come back and do math. i try to do group activities, but they still are fidgity and laying down and have that "glazed eye look." What quick things can I do to wake them up? I've done some stretches with them, but it doesnt' always help. They still have a hard time focusing and are talking.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2007

Can you give them some time before Math to just chat with a neighbor? I called it a "brain break"

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

Would that be a good time for a group bathroom or drink break? They could stretch their legs a little bit and chat quietly with their neighbor when they are finished before starting math.

5. 1styear1stgrade

1styear1stgrade New Member

Sep 12, 2007

I know exactly how you are feeling! Writing is so important in first grade and I have it is the afternoon as well. Their brains are fried by then!! My students absolutely love Simon Says. I have them touching their toes, doing as many jumping jacks as their age, and reaching toward their sky every time :) They love it and it usually gets the wiggles out. I also sing that song "shake, shake, shake my wiggles out" song. We have a chance to giggle and shake it all out before we quietly sit back down. It seems to work very well. Good luck... I know how you feel!

6. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

All these are great solutions. One other thing you can try is to do your read aloud right after so they can just veg out and listen. Then when it is over have them get out their math. Try either idea, this or the P.E. type moves to get them a little tired out. One other thing is that they will get better by October in being able to sit through the afternoon. It's really hard now but they'll get better. :unsure:

7. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

After Writing, I usually give them a bathroom and drink break. They have P.E. before they go to writing at 1:00, then writing at 1:30 and math at 2.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2007

I would do some sort of movement activity that takes a minute or two. Perhaps a Simon says as someone mentioned or just a quiet follow me type game without words. Maybe this would also be good time to sing some songs with them or throw a beach ball with numbers or addition facts on it to get them excited about math??

9. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Do you know any math songs that we could do? I know there is Dr Jean, but I dont' have access to her (unless I went out and bought the CD!)

10. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 13, 2007

Try some Jack Hartmann math songs. Let them reach to the sky/touch toes as they skip count. I use it with my kindergarten students and it really wears them out but it gets their brain stimulated again.