Glass or plastic tile?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Nov 25, 2009.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

We are remodeling two bedrooms and an adjoining bath (not by choice...due to water leak). I am trying to decide what type of tile to put in the bath. Does anyone have any experience in this type of project?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 25, 2009

I've never heard of plastic tile. Is it for the floor or walls or both?

I would think that glass tile would look nicer longer and add more value to your home, and that plastic would get scratched easily.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2009

In my experience there is ceramic tile, glass tiles and natural stone tiles all of which would add value to your home. I don't know anything about plastic unless you are talking about the fiberglass tub surrounds that come ready-made?

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

There are "plastic-like" shower/tile boards that are made to look like they are made up of individual tiles yet are truly one piece of hardboard. Perhaps this is what you mean?

[​IMG]

My father installed this years ago and it has held up beautifully, although Erin is right in that other coverings will add more value (of course, they are more costly as well.) Personally, I like whatever is easiest to clean. Grout? No thank you. We built our house, and one of the things I altered in the plans was the tile shower with glass enclosure. Looks nice--certainly looks nicer than what I have--but what I have is easy to maintain.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

This may be what the plumber was talking about. It looks like you found it at Lowe's. That gives me a place to begin searching. We are looking for something pretty and durable, but not break the bank expensive. We will be selling the house in a year or so and I'm not interested in putting in top of the line.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2009

Go with ceramic.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

Yeah, ceramic is more affordable than natural stone yet durable and can look very nice. Oh, and you could buy just a couple of the more expensive glass tile sheets already attached to a mesh backing, cut those into strips, and then use those as accents in, say, a tub surround. Here is an example of what I mean:

[​IMG]

I just realized I don't even know exactly what you're looking into this for...the shower, tub surround, floors, walls...?

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 25, 2009

That's what we have. My husband installed it about a year and a half ago and it's so easy to clean it still looks brand new. I really hate grout.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 25, 2009

I'm with you! I just spent 3 days scrubbing the grout in my 3 bathrooms and kitchen. I HATE grout.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

I need to tile the whole shower and the floor. We have to take the bathroom down to the studs so I can look into lots of choices.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 25, 2009

I doubt you can put that on the floor - maybe you would have to do linoleum as the cheaper alternative to tile on the floor. Good luck if you had to take the bathtub out. Our bathroom is barely big enough and when we replaced it it was so frustrating but sometimes hilarious trying to get the new, slightly bigger one in. We ended up having to trim some studs to get it in and 4 strong men. Crazy!