Glad This Case Was Thrown Out....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, May 29, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 29, 2012

but I still can't believe they sued her. There was an accident involving a man who was looking down at a text, so they not only sued him (which is completely understandable) but sued the girlfriend who sent the text message. Can you imagine? You have no way of knowing what the person's doing when you text them--that's why I use texts half the time-because I don't want to interrupt anything with a phone call.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nj-judge-woman-texted-boyfriend-liable-car-accident/story?id=16429647

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 29, 2012

I cannot believe that!!!:mad: It is not my responsibility to make sure that the person I am texting isn't driving at the time. I feel bad for the couple, but I think they are going overboard here, along with "Skippy".

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 29, 2012

I think the word is getting quite sue happy. There was a sub who threatened one of my kids to make her go last to lunch because she wouldn't stop talking. The student was telling me about it the next day and said her dad would have sued if that happened. :rolleyes:

Beth

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 29, 2012

That is just so crazy. I'm glad it was thrown out.

6. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 29, 2012

I'm glad the case was thrown out too. Even if the g/f knew her b/f was driving, the b/f didn't have to read the message then.

Bella - our society has definitely gone crazy with litigation. I had a sophomore go ballistic one afternoon because I wouldn't give the class a "free day" and let them go to the gym. He went to the office yelling he was going to sue the school board and the district. :rolleyes: (nothing came of it).

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 29, 2012

People are text crazy so it doesn't suprise me that things happen like that and people can't pay attention to what they are doing because they have to read a text. However, the lawsuit was pretty stupid and I agree that too many people are sue happy.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 29, 2012

I had a 6-year old tell me once he was going to sue me for putting him in timeout-I told him to go for it :thumb:. Both parents were lawyers, go figure!

I feel badly for the woman. It has to be stressful to have something like that hanging over your head. My mom got sued for a car accident when we were teenagers and honestly almost had to enter therapy because of it. The other car driver was uninsured, we were pretty certain had staged the whole thing-back problems now, etc. Being sued for that much money, even if you know you weren't wrong is stressful. I just think it's really reaching to take it that far.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

May 29, 2012

There are very few limits on what one can sue for. A claim doesn't have to be good, it just can't be frivolous or designed purely to annoy or harass. The bar is intentionally set low -- a lot of cases that look frivolous at first glance have some reasoning behind them.

All that aside, it looks like this case certainly deserved to be thrown out.