gk math test

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by mviera, Jun 16, 2006.

1. mviera

mviera Rookie

Jun 16, 2006

Hello,
    I am trying to get information on study groups and or tutoring for the GK Math test. I have taken the test twice and really need help in passing it. I live in Broward County but will travel for help
    thanks ,mviera

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

Let's put this in the Basic Skills Tests subforum where it belongs - and where, if you rummage through the threads, you may well find some help.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

Oh, and welcome aboard, mviera.

5. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Jun 21, 2006

Check with your local community colleges. The GKT will be given on 7-22-06 so many schools are hosting study classes. I know my college, Edison in Punta Gorda (and maybe the campuses in Ft Myers & Naples) is holding a GK math class on jULY 8 and again on July 15. Cost is $35.00 and is from 8 am -1 pm.

6. mviera

mviera Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

thchangingtabl,
    thank you so much for that info.. I went online to try to find help, and just ended up overwhelmed.

mviera

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2006

Just be aware that these kind of classes can at best tell you where your weaknesses are and what you need to bone up on. There just isn't enough time in them for anything else. They might help reawake some concepts you have already mastered but forgotten. But, otherwise, you will have to do additional study and lots and lots of practice in your weak areas. There is no substitute for doing lots and lots of problems when learning math.

8. mviera

mviera Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

yes thanks I surely do know my weak areas and have checked out a few word problem books from the library additionally I am studying two hours a night. I got my score back and was surprised to see 162 I thought I did much worse. I have a friend who is going to tutor me as well. I have also made flash cards of steps and formulas. I guess I figured that a class would be of some help because it would deal more with the type of problems covered by the GK. I have gone through the Cliff GK, test prep book twice, and although it covers basics, The two times I have taken the GK, I have felt unprepared.I am also a career changer with a business backround and It has been over ten years since I struggled with math. oh gosh am I blabbing away! thanks Malcom for your advice. MVIERA:)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

mviera, you might want to look for books in Princeton Review's KNOW IT ALL - MATH! series: there's one for grades 6-8 math that probably covers a lot of what you need to know, and does so engagingly (well, okay, some of the examples are cheerfully gross).

10. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 23, 2006

Hi mivera don't get discourage...I am also taking the GK test in July. I am using the Cliffs text and along with that I am using the clast text. I know taking these test can be quite overwhelming. I was looking online to see who was offering review classes, but I came up with nothing. Be encourage and continue to practice.

Take care ;)

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2006

People, you can always practice and ask questions right here... Malcolm and his pals from Single Subject math know their stuff, and Malcolm's been more than generous with his time and knowledge; Carmen13, who teaches math in Portugal, is likely to show up; Aliceacc is extremely helpful; and there are a few crazier sorts around here, too.

The question you ask may very well be the question someone else needs answered but couldn't quite get expressed.

So... take advantage.

12. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

I am taking the GK math test tomorrow via computer...pray for me plzzzz...I will carry a stick of gum..lol. As soon as I get home I will update...

13. enseigner

enseigner Rookie

Jul 2, 2006

Good luck!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

Hugs and clear thinking to all!

15. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Thank you for the prayers..I passed the math...yeppeee. On July 22I will be taking the English, reading and essay....and that is it for test.

16. thechangingtabl

Jul 4, 2006

Congrats, I am taking all of the GK tests on july 22 in St. Pete! Any study hints for the math section???

17. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

Practice the questions on the study guide and you will do fine....good luck

18. mviera

mviera Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

thechangingtabl,
    I got a great book, thanks to TeacherGroupie, called KNOW IT ALL MATH SERIES grades 6-8, by the Princeton review.It is great, there are many word problems on the Math portion, I to am taking the GK math and essay on 7/22.

19. thechangingtabl

Jul 5, 2006

thanks! i am not strong in math at all. I really need all the reinforcements I can get! UGH WORD PROBLEMS!!!

I know I can pass this test though. I am feeling pretty good today because I passed the MGIC (middle grades integrated) and the ESE k-12 on the computer today! So now I have the GKT left (already passed prof test and K-6)

20. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

Congrats on passing the test, I would like to know what text did you used to pass the ESE k-12.

Thanks

21. thechangingtabl

Jul 5, 2006

At 6:00 this morning I googled and found the pda-ese.org website and signed up for the non-credit pilot and read what I could until I left to go take my test at 7:30am. Here is the link: http://www.pda-ese.org/pilot/index.aspx

I have zero teaching experience, but my bachelors is in social work. I also have 4 kids (that is real experience), so I took my time and answered with the childs best interest. I think it is a good idea to read the IDEA part of the module I linked to above. Also brush up on what a IEP and 504 is if not familiar. There were questions about laws that I did not know, they all sounded the same. I think the test is very passable, similar to the professional test. Now the MGIC is HARD, much more work for my brain.

Take your time and use the entire 150 minutes. I think it helped that I did not rush through.

22. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

Thank you...I would like to the take the test and make myself more marketable. The MGIC is not for me...lol