Giving Up?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Aug 7, 2010.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

Giving Up?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I was IMing on FB with another teacher who works at the school I was non-renewed from. She has been teaching at the school for 20 something years and has seen principals come and go. She bascially told me I should give up looking and let "this go away" meaning the non-renewal. Go do something else outside of education for awhile. What? I told her that when I received the non-renewal lots of other teachers at the school told me don't worry other schools know about our reptuation of a high turn over....She said that was bunk.

I guess what she is telling me to do is give up? I can't do that. I've worked toooooo hard and hopefully someone will give me a chance. Having said that I am looking outside of education both in the Mid TN area and Atlanta area. I have to work and I have to find a job that pays more than min wage with the stuff going on in my personal ife. Hopefully it will be something I really enjoy doing or can at least tolerate doing for a year.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

That's terrible that she said that..ignore her! What is the subbing situation like in your area, will you be called often? Can you get by on the pay?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

She's still working there.

I notice SHE hasn't "given up"-- why should you???

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

Did you ask why she thought that? Does she have reason for saying that? I wonder if someone is saying something bad about you and she has heard that?

So sorry this has been so bad. I hate it when people talk about someone. I have seen this done more than a few times and it stinks. Really a bunch of teachers and principals can't have better people skills??????? So sorry:(

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

I guess she thought there would be a stigma associated with being non-renewed and I guess there would be....but really 1 year of not teaching or whatever is going to change that? It will still be in my record and I'd still have to explain it.

I don't think anyone is saying anything at the school. That isn't the way that school works, which is great. They really were not gossipy people which I found amazing! I also don't think the p would say anything.

Thank you all for your responses!

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

I would ignore this lady. She obviously is not a very nice person if she wants you to "Give Up". If teaching is your dream, you should follow it even if it is hard right now. I would look for a job to support your personal situation currently and still keep looking. When you land an interview, you could always explain your reasons for having to leave the education world for awhile but explain you were looking the entire time. I also dont see that non-renewal would be an issue. Many teachers have lost their jobs this year for budget reasons and what not. As long as the P isnt going to give you a bad reference and as long as you did nothing wrong I dont see the problem. School districts know how it is out there and they dont look down on this. Best of luck to you. I am hoping you find something soon :)

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

I wasn't given a reason for the non-renewal and it was not for budgetary reasons. No treacher has been laid off in my area for budgetary reasons. I actually live where there is growth...BUT having said that I haven't gotten an interview in 5 weeks and there has been at least 20 if not more openings. I've only been on 4 interviews this season. Believe me I am grateful for all of that and for the possiblities with the openings.

I have decided not to talk to this other teacher. I need positives and not negatives in my life.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

I agree! Don't give up just because one person said it wasn't worth it.

10. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

I'm definitely not trying to be negative or anything and maybe you have already stated this, but did you ever find out why you were not renewed? I would try figure out what happened. Did you have a union?

11. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I was non renewed this year as well. In fact, I was offered a job, and had the offer withdrawn-because my administration raised some "red flags" about my character. This was a school where I was in the minority race, and students punched windows out, broke out into fights with teachers and students, and stole personal items and vandalized the building.

I was in an at-will state, so they could essentially do what they wanted to me. I interviewed for eight positions and was all turned down. I would advise you to either sub, or to find something part time in education, and supplement your income.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

Don't you dare give up! I was non-renewed before and it took a year but I did a find a position that I got to keep. She's not worth the aggravation.

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

Matgrad, what did you do in the meantime?

I am looking outside of education at this point...can't sub since i need a steady income and benefits. Some suggested part time work and sub some days.

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

I want to make it clear....I have no desire to give up. I worked too hard and too long to get my degree. I am looking at all options since I have had a major life change and I have to learn to support myself. Thank you guys so much for your words of support. This woman is negative...

15. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Aug 7, 2010

I was non-renewed also. I ended up taking the unemployment and staying home with my newborn while still looking for teaching jobs. It gave me time to let the non renewal fade, gave me time with my daughter and made me think about whether I wanted to teach again or not. I did finally find a new position in teaching and love it. The unemployment was enough to get by on barely, but we made it work.

I also was not given a reason for the non renewal, but suspicion has it that a parent was complaining about me and the administration never talked to me to hear my side and the parent got what they wanted, which was me gone. Plus everyone who had a baby during the school year for two years in a row, got canned at the end of the year. That was like 6 people!

That said, I did not trust what my previous supervisor would say about me, so I hired a company that does reference checks and reports back to me. It was worth the money. I was surprised that she actually gave me a decent reference, not glowing, but good enough to get by. I did not put her down as a reference, but my current district called her anyway, and she said decent things then too.

Keep your head up, take the unemployment and keep looking.

16. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

Thanks, Sammy. Does give me hope. My unemployment is going to run out in a few weeks. : ( I think I can renew it..I heard something about that on the news. So we'll see.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2010

Just keep looking. Something will have to come up for you. Sorry you have to go through all this. That just really sucks.

18. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 7, 2010

You better not give up! Something perfect is out there for you...I just know it. I know many schools will still be getting things in order after start dates come and go. We are STILL enrolling new kids...I got another new one Friday that starts this Monday. :eek: So, private schools that have held off on hiring more staff may be adding more if numbers increase. I also heard that they are going to extend unemployment too...def. check that out in the meantime. Fulton Co still has a butt load of jobs open....though Fulton is a BIG county and it could mean they are in the southern part of the county where turnover is high. I do have a contact in the BOE office there if you want to msg me I could see if she knows anything. also check craigslist in the ATL area if you haven't recently...seems to be a lot of activity on there too.

19. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 7, 2010

Thanks, Mommys...I PMed you! :)
    Thanks, Tammij...really nothing worthwhile is ever easy...I believe that..well do I have a choice? LOL! Here's hoping that next week brings great news and renewed hope for me but for all of us job seekers! :)

20. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 7, 2010

do NOT give up

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 7, 2010

Well, just read this and honestly... WHY do some people want to spread the negativity? WHY? Just keep plugging and do what you need to to make things work for now. You ROCK and someone is going to notice very, very soon!

22. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 8, 2010

Last week with school starting was hard for me. Granted they just had half days and this weeks starts the first full days of school. Yesterday I finally admitted to myself that I really have to look outside of my area and really think about moving back to where I call "home" in GA. I have applied all over the state of GA for both education and non-education jobs. I have also done the same here in Middle TN. My thinking is that where ever the job comes from is where I should be but I am hoping that it brings me back home.

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2010

Hugs, l8ybug! I know that my district just posted a few more jobs on Friday. Summer conference is next week, professional dev the week after, with school starting on the 23rd. I'm sure there will be more kids than they have accounted for.

24. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

Have you looked into waitressing or anything like that? Not sure with the benefits but you would make really good money. I hope you find something soon!!! Keep your head up. Maybe a move will really help too

25. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

I definitely do not think you should give up. I have seen people with 10+ years who are "let go" for one reason or another still find other positions.

Do you have any idea why you were let go? Do you think the principal has been called by schools you applied to and has given them a reason? I know when I applied for my job, they had a question section that asked about being fired, non-renewed, or forced to resign. They still considered people who had faced something like that, as long as they could explain the reason behind it, and the reason was not one that would put students at risk. It is too bad they didn't give a reason.

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2010

L8ybugmom, don't listen to her! Who is she to make a statement like that? Geez! :(

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2010

Well, we are all cheering for you.

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

To answer your question, I collected my unemployment and worked for an online search company. It was terrible! What made it really bad for me was that my hubby is also a teacher. I set-up a daily job search schedule for myself that usually took about 2-3 hours a day. Things like resume and cover letter sending, reviewing interview questions, checking job boards.

You will find something!!! You are not allowed to give up!

29. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 9, 2010

Thanks again, Everyone! Although, I have not heard anything from any place I've applied I haven't given up. I did hear something back from a tutoring company for me to come in for an interview so that is good! : ) It is something!

30. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 9, 2010

Keep your head up and we will keep sending prayers!

31. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I agree with the others, the advice is not good. I don't know from personal experience, but I would think that many non-renewed teachers get hired at new schools.