Giving Up On Montessori Schools

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Suburban Gal, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Oct 2, 2006

Well, I sent out a dozen, if not more, résumés a couple of weeks ago and have only heard back from two Montessori Schools. One wanted me as a Substitute Teacher and another, where I interviewed at last Wednesday, wouldn't even hire me for a part-time TA.

I was hoping it'd be rather easy to get into a Montessori School, have them train me, and then work my way up the wrungs to become an actual Montessori School teacher. Guess I was wrong.

3. nyanne

nyanne Rookie

Oct 2, 2006

I wouldn't give up so quickly if I were you. I see you are in NE IL. I am, too...in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. If there's any way I might be able to help (just through knowing people or schools in the area if this is where you are also), feel free to PM me with where you are living/looking to teach. I'm also a trainer for the MMTTC in Crystal Lake, for whatever that might be worth...I could find out specifics for you to get your training if you have any questions, let me know.
    ~Anne

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 2, 2006

How about trying child care or more preschools? They might have openings. Terry G.

5. Suburban Gal

Oct 3, 2006

Thank you for you kindness and willingness to offer assistance. I'll shoot off a PM to you right away.

Believe me, my résumé has gone just about everywhere at this point. Shy from moving, which is just not doable for me right now, there's not much else I can do except repeatedly sending my résumé out to various districts and schools.

Maybe nyanne is right. Maybe I shouldn't give up on getting into a Montessori School just yet. It's only been a week since they all received my résumé so perhaps I still may get a call to interview for a TA position. Who knows. Anything is possible.

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Oct 3, 2006

Keep in mind that most schools (not just Montessori) are already fully staffed. Our TA's and Teachers sign contracts in early May for the following year.

7. Pickles

Pickles Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

I agree with Pattypoo. This is not the time of year many schools are hiring full-time staff. Late Spring/early summer is the best time to get hired.

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 3, 2006

What about signing up to sub with Montessori schools and preschools? You should have plenty of work. Terry G.

9. nyanne

nyanne Rookie

Oct 15, 2006

Elizabeth,
    Check your PMs!!
    Anne

10. Suburban Gal

Dec 11, 2006

Thanks for all of your help on this nyanne. I really appreciate it.

The Montessori Schools around here just don't want me and am assuming that the people they've been filling in positions I'm applying for are already Montessori certified. I'm sure many of the Directors have liked me, but if the opportunity presents itself to hire a Montessori certified person over someone who isn't Montessori certified then they will do just that. I get the impression from many of the Montessori Schools around here that it's important for them to keep their AMS and AMI accreditation and the only way they can do that is to hire Montessori certified Assistants/Aides.

I'd love to go on and pay for it first and then search for work in a Montessori School, but I simply can't afford that kind of training right now and it'd make more sense for me to get into a Montessori School first to see if I really do like it and want to stay in it. If I don't like it and don't want to stay in it then it makes no sense for me to spend that kind of money on the certification training.

If someone's help was actually getting me somewhere, I'd stay with it. But since that's not the case, it makes more sense to abandon my efforts.

Again, thank you! But I really do think I should give up on trying to get into a Montessori School - at least for the time being.

11. jasmina

jasmina New Member

Dec 12, 2006

I hope you will keep trying, even if you have to get a different job for now. I was a TA in a Montessori school in Washington DC, when I was 18. It was only for a year but I learned so much.
    I'm like you, I would love to go to Montessori training, and maybe I will someday when I have the time and the money. In the meantime, I have incorporated so many of the amazing Montessori concepts I discovered at that Montessori school 20 years ago, in my teaching over the years. It was kind of like I getting paid and trained at the same time. It may not get you certified but it will help you understand how learning happens in the easiest, most natural way.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2006

I know next to nothing about Montessori, but, as usual, I'm chiming in anyway.

It seems to me that the problem may be your timing. Most schools just aren't hiring now-- they are well into the year and have their faculties set. It's not a reflection on them, or on how they feel about your qualifications; they just don't need any additional help.

And, even in prime time, a dozen resumes isn't a lot, at least around here. With the huge glut of teachers in the US, schools are inundated with resumes. Just mailing out a dozen won't get you an interview.

If it's particularly Montessori you want, then get the training in Montessori. In this market, they're probably not going to hire someone they need to train.

Have you considered dropping any off in person? Letting them put a face to the name on the resume? That way, if somehow a job does come up midyear, they'll remember you.

13. paulazhou

paulazhou New Member

Jan 26, 2007

Hi Elizabeth. I'm new here and would just like to add that you didn't send your resume to me! We are a Montessori school in Beijing, China. Would you be willing to travel that far to get an Montessori Internship. I'd love to hear from you if you are, send me a mail.