Giving Up Hope for this Year

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by themilocat, Aug 11, 2011.

1. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

Schools here start either Monday or Wednesday of next week! Several schools across the state have posted openings, and I've called them all as soon as I saw it. I left voicemails at 2 (never called me back, either), nobody answered at 1, and 2 told me the position had already been filled, but they had to post the position anyway. I even left work early one day to go meet a principal, who ended up being out on a 2 hour lunch break...after she had confirmed my meeting with her.

My current job has offered me the position of music and PE teacher, but it's 10 hours a week-- it's a very small private school. I have zero experience with these...and it's not what I want to do for a year. I think at this point I would rather just sub for a year, so at least I can put that experience down on future applications.

3. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

:( I'm sorry to hear this! I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm going to go set up my classroom tomorrow. It's an unsavory position, but at least it's a position. I've thought about just resigning several times. :( I did try a last ditch effort today, by applying at a district consortium. I'm not hopeful, but you never know! :)

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2011

I was hired two weeks after the school year when I got my first job. I sure am glad that I did not give up the fight. GOOD LUCK to you and I know this is a hard decision to make. Substituting is a great way to get your foot in the door and get noticed.

5. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Aug 11, 2011

I feel like a major loser because I have not landed anything. I could have had a job 5 hours from my husband, but we decided that would not be the best thing afterall. :(

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2011

Well, that would be a crazy commute and time away from the hubby. I think that you have to be realistic about what you can or cannot do when you apply. You don't want to waste your time or the interviewers time. I think that I would stick to an hour commute and concentrate my efforts there. Wishing you both all the best! There are still jobs to be had. We just hired a new teacher yesterday because our kinder enrollment is soaring! While the teacher we hired was already on staff (working as a parapro) that gave a new opening to a certified teacher as a paraprofessional for all the grade levels. This is not as high paying but the benefits are pretty good... We pretty much let our paras know that we WILL hire them as a teacher at the first opportunity if they do a good job.

7. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 12, 2011

I applied in my home district but have not heard anything. School started Monday and I never even got a phone call to interview. There are many people who are in the same boat as me so I am not too depressed. I am going to sub as much as possible and hope for a long term sub position. There is a job out there for me, just not this year.

8. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 12, 2011

This year marks the end of 3 years that I have been searching for a teaching job. At the end of each summer, I wondered what was wrong with me, was I a bad teacher, end ended up full of doubt over my chosen career.

I honestly believe the right job was waiting for me - and I am so thankful that I am working where I am. To tell you the truth - I think I'd wait another three years of not teaching just to be in this same school and working with the same people.

I'll come soon, just be patient.

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

I just applied to another district yesterday. They asked me to take the Gallup Teacher Insight again. I was thinking since I took it in June, that I wouldn't have to. When I was logging in, I figured that I'd get to the screen that would send my June results to this district. Not! I ended up taking it again....It was actually a different assessment and a lot easier.

So, I feel very silly now. Here, I am about to start setting up my classroom again and taking a teacher insight assessment in the same day! I feel it's not over til' it's over. :)

Please don't correct my grammar! lol!

10. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Aug 12, 2011

I know exactly how you feel! There were a lot of jobs open in my area in the spring, but I was planning on doing a Master's program in Tennessee during the summer and this school year. But, that fell through at the last minute because of the tornado that happened in my area. I felt that I couldn't leave my family and friends that needed help. I didn't think it would be a huge problem to find a job after that...and I'm not picky! I'll take any grade k-6, anywhere in the state!

My last hope is that the Joplin school district will hire at the last minute due to all of their switching schools around and not really knowing their enrollment numbers until school starts. Keeping my hopes up for a few more days...

If nothing happens, I think I'll move to the Kansas City area, where I can sub. I had an interview with a school district there earlier this summer, and they told me I should put in a sub application with them. I would probably start a different Master's program if I end up subbing.