Giving teachers a bad name

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rachaelski, Oct 31, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

http://www.koat.com/news/21469821/detail.html

In my own city. I am disgusted. As a middle school teacher, I do not know how anyone can find a 13 year old attractive. Sure, I might say, "he is going to be handsome when he gets older," but to be attracted to a 13 year old? Humans who spend the majority of their time talking about or touching their genitalia? People like this hurt our image as professionals.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

Ewww. I can't begin to imagine feeling attracted to one of my students; I feel like their mother most of the time.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2009

This is sick. And I agree with the comments on that page. Where were that boys parents? They need to take some responsibility too!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

Why?? For all they knew, he was at school getting extra help.

Nope, an adult who has sexual relations with a 13 year old child has no one to blame but herself.

6. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

Clearly the woman is responsible. His parents are not responsible. HOWEVER, if they went to a movie at a normal movie time and were "parked" at a normal "parking time" then the parents had to be pretty naive or uninformed to think he was at school at that time of night getting tutoring. If they did this at 4 in the afternoon and he was home for dinner than their lack of knowledge is more understandable.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2009

OK, good point.

But I still don't think this is about parenting, at least not on their end. (By the way, she was a MOM???? If I were hubby, I would have serious concerns about my kids.)

There's a reason why it's illegal to have sex with 13 year olds. Because, as we all know, they have no concrete idea that their actions can have lasting consequences. So even if he gave his consent, what she did was still reprehensible.

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2009

I was thinking the same thing!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

Ex-husband according to other reports I read.

What makes me so mad (besides the child being a victim) is that her actions hurt good teachers. I am in my late 20's, I don't have kids of my own yet, and there are times that I would like to share an experience with my kids. A trip to see a movie rendition of a book, dinner as a reward for achieving a goal, or (as an 8th grade homeroom teacher) a lock-in for graduating 8th graders. None of this can happen, because of the actions of some ridiculous excuses for teachers.

10. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

Rachael,

I don't see an issue with seeing a movie or including a meal on a class trip or an overnight event at the school. HOWEVER, they need to be properly supervised and fit within the norms of the role of a teacher for our society - at least 2 supervisors for overnights and normal school hours for field trips (which can include movies and eating :) )

And Alice of course it was reprehensible.

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 31, 2009

My district (an archdiocese) forbids any overnight fieldtrips/experiences.

12. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 31, 2009

We worry about misbehaviour on our overnight fieldtrips - but by our students - not our teachers!!

13. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Grosssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 1, 2009

Absolutely reprehensible-I will never understand it.

I feel badly not only for the victim, but the ex-husband and kids too. A lot of lives turned upside-down.

15. Securis

Securis Cohort

Nov 1, 2009

Completely agree with the reprehensible part. What I find most interesting is that female to male, male to female, there seems to be a higher instance of female teachers going off with male students being reported of late. I know for the ones caught there are many more going about daily life like nothing is wrong with what they are doing. It's a crazy world so I do my best to present the positive side of being a teacher.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

I couldn't imagine having any kind of relationship like that with my students. Are there a few I'd like to adopt? Yep. There are a couple that I'd love my son (if we ever have one) to grow up to be like because they make great role models. As attractive in the sense to ruin my career? NEVER!!!!

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

I have a few who I say, "If I had a daughter, I'd be very pleased if she brought him home." But not for ME to bring home. (Well, when I taught little kids I wanted to adopt some of them and raise them, but that's also VERY different...)

One of my coworkers and I laugh because she was saying something the other day about how sexy one of the actors in a popular movie is, only to find out that he is 17 years old! Oops! I can see maybe in high school, especially when you have some of the seniors who are as old as 21, and teachers who are as young as 22. I don't think it would be appropriate AT ALL, but I can understand that happening more than with a 20 year age difference.

When I was 21 I went on a date with a guy who lied about his age. I thought he was 20, but he was 17. Talk about a big oops, there! Luckily, I'm not the kind of girl who would do things on a first date that would be illegal! ;)

18. Behavior Guru

Behavior Guru Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

I found this information on the internet

www.menstuff.org/issues/byissue/teacherlover.html

Teacher/Lover

The teacher/lover offender type is an adult woman who acts as the initiator of the sexual abuse of an adolescent; usually a male. She has a difficult time accepting her behaviour as criminal as she has no hostility toward her victim. This type of sex offender acts in a position of power through her age and role in the adolescent's life. The teacher/lover is seeking a loving sexual expression in her interactions with the victim. She feels that her sexual favours are an act of kindness towards the victim and she believes the victim's experiences with her are positive expressions of love.

The teacher/lover is usually a victim of severe emotional and verbal abuse as a child. Her family environment is likely to have been dysfunctional, with her father distant and verbally and physically abusive towards her. She is typically a victim of extrafamilial sexual abuse as an adolescent. The teacher/lover has often had a history of sexually abusive relationships with her lovers.

The teacher/lover tends to be defensive and denies the reality of her actions. She also minimizes the negative impact of her actions on the victim. She may be acting out her anger. This type of offender is also likely to have a drug or alcohol addiction.

19. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 1, 2009

What this lady did was disgusting. KOB had to appologize after thier report....rightly so..they were tacky and rude. I was pissed when I heard the report, at the reporter. They made it out like the other teacher was wrong to report her, when it was not wrong.

But I do feel parents are very responsible for what happened to the boy.