Giving notice?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by loveallkids, Aug 7, 2011.

  1. loveallkids

    loveallkids Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 7, 2011

    If a school were to hire me for a position this fall, immediately before school starts, would they allow a period for me to give notice at my present teaching job? My employer has no idea that I am looking for a full time position at another school. He is expecting me to return in September. I would feel horribly guilty if I actually got an offer late in the summer or in Sept. I'm already feeling that way now for starting my search so late, but I must add that no school will make a decision until they learn what the budget projects and I was told by the principal that they won't make any decisions until Sept. I am applying for a temporary teacher's assistant position. Would be happier if it were a permanent one, but there's a huge line in front of me.

    I want to be fair and give notice so my boss has ample time find my replacement. Fortunately, I'm a teacher's assistant, not the head teacher at the preschool where I work. What is the general rule of thumb for public schools? Do they allow a period to give notice and hire substitutes in the meantime or is it based on each school's individual decision? Thanks for any info.
     
  2.  
  3. FarFromHome

    FarFromHome Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1,857
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 8, 2011

    Usually you're expected to start right away. I've never heard of schools hiring substitutes while waiting for the regular teacher to start. At my last school district, some teachers were even hired the day before school started and were expected to start the next day.
     
  4. loveallkids

    loveallkids Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    I was afraid of that. This is not going to go over well at all if I do get hired. I am a very loyal person. More sleepless nights are in store for me.

    What should I do? Tell him that I'm seeking full time employment and give him advanced warning or wait and see? At least he would have time to look for someone and prepare for it. If I don't get hired anywhere, then that would not look good at all!! We've had a very good working relationship for several years.
     
  5. loveallkids

    loveallkids Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    Oh no! I know the right thing to do. I have to tell him! I'll have to quit, won't I? No one in their right mind would allow me to keep them posted and just sit on it. They would have to start looking for a solid replacement. They wouldn't interview a potential employee and offer a position with strings, that they just wait and see if it there's an opening in the fall.

    I don't have it in me to drop a bomb like this on someone right before or at the start of a new school year. I have to do what's right and HOPE that I will get a position in one of the schools (one that will never compare to how good I have it here). I hate the idea, but I feel I have no better option.

    I LOVE my job! I love my boss and coworkers! I don't want to leave but I need a full time job! I have dreaded this decision that I've known was coming. I guess it has to be now. He'll have a month to find someone. I be hating life and will substitute more until I get hired (fingers crossed). He'll be sad to see me go. He's not expecting this at all.

    Is this what you would do? Not sure if my husband will go for it. It'll be one less paycheck that we knew we could always count on.
     
  6. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    Just let your boss know that because of the economy you are needing to look for full time employment. Since you are in the private sector that is perfectly acceptable. Let your boss know that your plan is to return to work in September if nothing pans out of the interviews that you may or may not receive, but you wanted to give him/her a head's up just in case. DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB. There is no reason to unless you have a job in hand. Giving your boss a head's up is just a common courtesy. Who knows, maybe he will find a way to make your job full time. Good luck!
     
  7. loveallkids

    loveallkids Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    Thanks so much for your response! Yes, I would start out asking him for his understanding and patience, but he needs to look out for his school's best interests as well. I highly doubt that he'll be fine with it, unless he desperately wants me to stay. I just don't see that happening. There is no opening in the other class, so, there's no opportunity for a full time position at this school.

    I'll just have to feel him out and hope for the best. I talked with my husband this morning and he hung up on me, saying that my family comes first and I shouldn't take the risk. He doesn't want me to tell my boss anything. What the!? I'm backed into a corner!

    Thanks again! I really appreciate your advice.
     
  8. Tutor

    Tutor Comrade

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Messages:
    289
    Likes Received:
    2

    Aug 8, 2011

    Don't QUIT and don't say anything yet.

    Do you have any interviews lined up? Any potential jobs on the line? If not, I wouldn't say anything to your current employer, yet. If you get to the end of an interview process and get an offer, then talk to your boss.

    I know that leaving them your current job in a rush feels like a problem for your employer, but honestly there are A LOT of people out there looking for jobs. They'll find someone else. Just keep in mind that IF you leave, you are creating a job for someone else that needs one.
     
  9. loveallkids

    loveallkids Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    Thanks Tutor! I understand that many people are in need of work, but most are looking for full time positions. The problem that my boss runs into, is that it is difficult to find someone who will be available to work only two days a week at a job that only pays slightly above minimum wage. Many candidates would be stay-at-home moms with small children, who would have difficulty finding daycare. It's not worth it to them. It's not an easy position to fill. You have to luck out by finding someone who has a very flexible schedule, where money isn't a priority. Sad, but true. Thanks so much for your response.
     
  10. Marci07

    Marci07 Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    If you get hired by the time school starts you can ask your new employer to allow you at least 2 weeks so that you don't leave your current employer in a tough situation. I know that this is a reasonable amount of time.

    If you let your current boss know that you are looking, he may let you go right away and then you may end up with no job.
     
  11. chicagoturtle

    chicagoturtle Fanatic

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Messages:
    2,973
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    Actually, when I took my first job - I didn't realize it, but it wasn't final until the other perso quit. She eventually did, but it was touch and go.

    If your position is hard to fill- you probably have some time on your side. So have a conversation with your director.
     
  12. DaleJr88AmpFan

    DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2008
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    In this day and age, you have to look out for yourself (and your family). If/when you are offered a FT position, then notify your present employer giving him as much notice as possible (unless required a full 2 week notification). Most people think of the 2 week notice as absolutely required... in many cases it is a courtesy and nothing more. Until you have been offered a position, go about your normal business and don't worry about notifying your current employer.
     
  13. teach42

    teach42 Comrade

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    Messages:
    334
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 8, 2011

    If you do end up telling your employer, you could ask if he could give you a timeline for when you had to have a decision. I've interviewed for a position where the teacher was not sure if she was leaving or not. They gave her a set date where she had to let them know for sure but they still went ahead and interviewed people. She ended up not leaving and I was in the middle of the interview process by then.
     
  14. loveallkids

    loveallkids Rookie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 9, 2011

    Thanks all! I'm really nervous. I am to report back to work on Aug. 30 to set up the room and then have my smiling face at "back to school night"! Ughh. It should be someone else. I feel like I'm doing something terribly wrong by not telling him, but I know I'd screw things up for myself if I did.

    I went to the school today to deliver my cover letter and resume and to discuss the position (that isn't listed yet) with the principal. She wasn't there. I did talk with the bookkeeper though. As I said in the beginning, the P told me that we won't know anything until Sept., whether it's in the budget to approve a second teacher assistant. As of today, still no word, so they are in limbo and can't hire anyone until they get the green light, which could be right before school starts. The bookkeeper told me that she thinks it'll be approved because they'll have a couple of children who will be in wheelchairs. Well, duh! It'll be approved. They have always had two assistants. I've been subbing in that classroom for two years and know this!

    I'll go back tomorrow to talk with the P but I know what she's going to tell me. It's out of her hands until she hears that it's been approved. I've been dragging my feet about applying to other schools, since I want to stay at my childrens' school. Time schedules, not knowing the staff and classrooms as well, etc., is why I hesitate. I'm still pretty stressed about what to do.
     
  15. eddygirl

    eddygirl Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    Messages:
    184
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 10, 2011

    Just my :2cents:--I would seriously consider your husband's feelings on this. If he is not comfortable with you saying anything yet, you don't need any more stress over this at home. Yes, your current boss may be upset for the short notice if you end up leaving, but an uncomfortable situation with your spouse would be much more difficult to handle.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. ally06
Total: 203 (members: 1, guests: 166, robots: 36)
test