Giving new students a used workbook

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

Is this standard practice?

In first grade, most of our textbooks are consumables. At the beginning of the year, we get exactly 20 books for 20 students. Whenever a student leaves, we keep the workbook.

When a new student comes in, that student takes over the used workbook from the previous student with whatever pages were written in or torn out from before. Many of the unfinished pages will have the name of the previous student written on them because they like to write their names on the pages ahead of time.

I may have been OK for the Russian army to do this with rifles in World War I, but I don't think it's OK for schools to do it with first graders and workbooks. Am I overly radical in my opinion on this matter?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 28, 2012

We do it...I just consider it way to save money.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

Think of it from the student's point of view. Imagine you're a seven year old boy, and the book has a girl's name and hearts and princesses doodled throughout it.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

At my old school, I would always requisition one or two extra workbooks every year, so I had backups. Inevitably, kids would spill something on them, or something worse. But if you are issued the books, then that probably isn't an option.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 28, 2012

I always tore the pages out instead of giving the students the books. Solves the problem, helps students focus on only one thing.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

Same here.

I've actually never given it a second thought. I have so many bigger things to worry about that giving a student a used workbook is low on my priority list.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 28, 2012

I'm glad they're saving the money. I get what you're saying but think of all the kids throughout the world who would kill for the book that you're considering garbage. I say better to use it than not.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

At my school kids can either purchase used books (for a reduced price) or pay full price for new books. I don't think they mind. Although I do have one student whose used book has no covers and it's a pretty big problem. I don't think books in such poor condition should be able to be resold.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

It might not be the best situation but it seems like a huge waste of money- and paper to have workbooks that were only used for a month or two. We did the same. I could sometimes get an extra copy, but I don't ask for it if I have a half-used extra. It seems wasteful.

11. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

Can you make sure they don't doodle or write on pages ahead of what you're working on?

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

I hated getting used school supplies as a student because I was very particular. Used didn't feel as special. But of course, we had to deal with used items such as textbooks.

I think I would consider giving them a page at a time to help keep their focus. :)

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 28, 2012

If the book has only a few pages written on (about 5 to 6) we tear them out and reuse the workbook. The cover and back cover must be in great condition, though. Otherwise a new book is given. Parents pay school taxes and expect their child to receive a new book. Plus, pages not completed can be used as a review for the teacher to see what the new child knows and doesn't know.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 28, 2012

This is what I do, too. Then it doesn't matter who comes and goes.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

Can you?

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

So I should, for every lesson (4 to 5 books depending on the time of the year) tear you 20 pages from 20 different books?

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

I try really hard not to give out the used ones, but the new and used got mixed in together, and we're running out of new. We won't get more new ones since we haven't updated textbooks in about 15 years.

What if... for the used ones that have pages written on... could you copy from the new book and give those children handouts instead? Maybe staple them into the used books? And then once you get to pages that aren't written on/doodled on, they could start using the book?

(Dunno. Sounds like a hassle when I write it out, but I have 130 kids. Everything involving paper is a hassle.)

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

If that's too much work (and I am NOT saying it isn't) then I think your only other option is to give students the used workbook.

19. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

In my district and a district I worked in previously, workbooks are purchased through money collected from school fees. Therefore, I have felt that the workbooks should follow the students. But, then you run into the issue of students moving in. They don't pay the school fees but I'm going to require them to use these materials. It's a tricky issue but like another person said, relatively low on my priority list.

If it were me (we don't have consumable workbooks anymore) I think I'd talk with the class about the importance of not working ahead and writing on future pages for the very reasons you mentioned. Usually kids respond to rules when they know the purpose behind them. Of course you'll probably still have one or two that do it "just because they can."

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 28, 2012

We do it, too. However, like Melissa, I avoid the problem by tearing pages out of the workbooks, and handing them out as needed. Since our new math curriculum doesn't follow the text, it's just a supplement, anyway.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 28, 2012

Is there really a workbook for every subject? :eek: Ew!

I think a used book with 10 or less pages used is fine. Otherwise I'd be tearing out the pages and making weekly packets. It wouldn't take to long if you did them 1 week at a time.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 28, 2012

I always did. Usually 3 pages for math and around 7 or more for Reading. Sometimes more for math, depending. I did it during my planning or before or after school. I also found parent volunteers to do it a time or two. One year, I took all the books home the week before school started and tore all the pages out and clipped them together by lesson. I put them in file folders by unit, then all year I had them all done. That was the way all the teachers where I worked did it. We managed to make it work with 30 minutes of planning four days a week.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

We always order a bit more than we need...we currently have about 10-12 extra math workbooks...we won't get that many new kids transferring in (and I can't remember the last time a kid moved midyear)

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

To answer the question- it would depend on the condition of the book. I've had student transfer out in the 2nd week of school. I saved their workbooks. Now if they leave in December, it would depend on the condition of the book.

Our social studies book is consumable. I always teach social studies with hands-on lessons. A few years ago, my students wrote their names in the book and never touched them again. (I actually had collected them so they didn't take up space in their desk.) Well, I decided to start using the social studies book instead of my reading look (not all the time- I incorporate novels a lot). Our SS books haven't arrived yet, so I passed out the set I saved. Some of them were trying to rub the names off :rolleyes: They were never used!

25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

Why not stick labels over them with their names on them. Seems like an easy fix.

26. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

We also had out used workbooks to the students.

My fix has been to not assign a workbook to any student. Instead, I will randomly pass out the workbooks and have the student complete whichever page that I want. As the students are working, or as they finish, I tear out the page or I have them tear out the page (depends on their skills).

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

When I had workbooks, I always tore the pages out, clipped them together. It was a good project to do in the fall, on a Saturday, watching a football game.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

Because the kids wrote their names on them- in random places. Some are VERY big.

29. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2012

We pass these out when the kids need them, then collect them. No one owns a certain book. At my previous school, we had a high turnover rate: typically 13 changes per term. No way could we buy new books for everyone.