Giving gifts to aides???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nicegirl, Aug 26, 2007.

1. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I am debating whether or not to give a small gift to my aides. I will have 2 for sure in my room at all times, possibly 3. I want to show them that I am eager to work with them and want us to be a team. I don't want it to seem like I am trying to "buy" their approval or acceptance though. I am not sure if this is something I should do right away to help establish a good relationship or if I should wait till some time has passed before attempting this gesture.

FYI... there have been some issues with some of these aides in the past. This will be my first year teaching and truly want a fresh start here....

What do you all think?

3. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Aug 26, 2007

i think people like to feel appreciated.

i'd vote for a small gift such as a plant....maybe 6 dollars or less. a plant is a nice gesture...

i give plants to the cleaning staff at the beginning of the year because they work so hard and i think people take them for granted....

plus they "like" me more when i have too much garbage, a muddy floor, etc.

i think building a team is a nice ideas with your aides. i had one aide and she was such a hard worker and did so much for me....it was obvious when she was no longer with me, as i couldn't do all the "fun" stuff......she surely was missed.

good luck.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 26, 2007

It would be nice to have a place for them. A hook to hang up their coat. A safe place to put their purse and private things. (a shelf in a closet) A place where they can get pencils, pens, paper clips, glue, scissors, and etc without getting in your desk.

A vase with a fresh cut flower. A plant. Something less than five dollars. Because later on you will have Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, and etc. Take each times three. Ooouch you have a big bill and haven't anything for your students.

That's way having everybody bring a favorite recipe and making a class recipe book. Works for janitor, Paras, parents, principal and etc.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

homemade cookies? I mean, I know everyone is trying to watch their weight these days - but that's a classic! Who doesn't like that?

I like the idea of making them a place in the classroom, too. maybe a couple of their own little supplies, etc.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 26, 2007

Beautiful! (1st grade aide)