Giving Back

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TXforever, Sep 26, 2015.

1. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 26, 2015

I was wondering if you all had any ideas? I know kids can write letters to kids at St. Jude. I thought about a canned food drive? I wanted my kids to have some opportunities to think about other people. :| I know I need to get approval from parents and admin before I do anything.

ETA: these are 4th graders

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 26, 2015

freerice.com donates 10 grains of rice to the poor for every vocabulary word they get correct. This is something they all enjoy, but some really like the idea of giving back. These students often do free rice at home as well. This also has the bonus of helping with vocabulary.

greatergood.com allows students to press a button to help donate food, help animals, help breast cancer, help the rainforest, help veterans, and many others.

Food drives are fun. Also cards to children at children's hosiptals, veterans at veteran's hospitals are often very much wanted. Check with these hospitals first.

Visiting nursing homes where the students sing a song or do some other activity is often very much appreciated by those in nursing homes. They love to hear children perform.

4. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Sep 26, 2015

Great info! Thanks!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2015

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 26, 2015

We challenged our school to donate 100 cans of food to the local food bank per class. We filled up the bed of a pickup and the trunk and back seat of a car. The local FFA picked it up and delivered it for us. My 6 year olds were so proud loading it. And the pastor of the local church where the food bank is housed wrote them a letter. I made a copy of the letter for each child and sent it home. Several mothers told me their child put it on their wall.