Given up trying....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lafogosa, Jan 14, 2015.

1. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Jan 14, 2015

I have two repeat first graders in my class. Both come from homes where the parents are expecting everyone else to care and give more than they are willing to do themselves. I have been giving free tutoring after school. I have tried peer tutoring. I try to make sure that I send home study guides and all kinds of resources to help them. I've given hugs and tried to encourage, but I'm done. We just received DIBELS scores and out of my 20 students, 17 scored 300 and above (for first grade a good score is in the high 100s). My two repeats are actually performing worse than the beginning of the year, and one is performing at a lower level than a student I have who just arrived in the US two weeks ago! Their SST (student support team) paperwork is in the works to move forward with having them diagnosed and placed. But what makes it worse is they are so annoying and ill-behaved with horrible attitude and complete lack of respect for authority or others around them.

I guess I just needed to vent. Having these students in the class is just sapping my energy and that is completely unfair to not only the other students but to me! It is constantly reiterated that students that are troublesome have a "right" to be in the school. What about the rights of the teachers and the other students?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

I'm not about to step into the battle of rights and laws, but on a purely emotional level, I agree with you. It's tough to teach kids who just aren't interested (or perhaps not ready to be there in school).

I'm sorry.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

I totally understand the feeling of giving up trying when something seems like a fruitless effort. Academically, I'd probably be right there with you, based on what you've said about these students' scores and the efforts you've already placed on helping them achieve academically. However, when it comes to their behavior, you don't mention what you've tried. Have you put any behavior interventions in place? Have you tried to build relationships with these students? Bad on what you say about their home lives, it seems like that could be what their lacking: a solid relationship with a caring and trusting adult who accepts them for who they are. I have a big issue in my school with students not being accepted for who they are. Many teachers in my school seem to have this idea in their minds that all students should fit the ideal mold. When a student has behaviors that are a challenge, they are often written off by these teachers. I also don't want to get into a philosophical discussion on the right to attend school, but the bottom line is that that is currently the case. Public schools accept children of all kinds. Any teacher who can't accept that and those students who may be challenging shouldn't be teaching in a public school. Those challenging students are often the ones who need their teachers the most. Anyway, I'm not trying to bash your feeling about these students, as I obviously don't know the full story on these kids and what you've already done. I'm just hoping to encourage you to keep an open mind and an open heart. Give up on the academics if you need to (I probably would too), but don't give up on these kids altogether. They need you.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

It sounds like the students aren't in the appropriate setting. In that case I feel sorry for them. I'm sure it's tough on you, but it's probably just as tough for them and that's probably a major contributor to their behavior problems.

6. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jan 24, 2015

I guess from what you say the parents are no help at all. I imagine that the students probably act at home exactly like they act in class. I work as a sub and I have had similar students. It is frustrating, because you spend so much time in class just trying to get them to sit down, be quiet and participate, that it takes a lot away from the rest of the class. I really sympathize with your problem.

I feel sorry for the kids too. Some of the students I have had in class, who act like this, seem very sad and do need help. But I don't think such children can get the help they need in the regular classroom. But that is just my opinion.