give up on student teaching experience?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by abrummitt, Jan 30, 2009.

1. abrummitt

abrummitt Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Hello Everyone,

My name is Allie and I'm a 25 year old soon-to-be student teacher. Currently I mini-teach in a 4th grade classroom 1 period per day. I love it, I'm learning a lot, and it's going very well. I've gotten great feedback.

Recently I started observing in the 1st grade classroom in which I'll be full time student teaching, starting in march. I have had a horrific experience there thus far. The class (30 of them) is out of control, and so is the teacher. She has no formal system of rewards/punishments -- all she does is scream, make threats, and slam desks. I cannot - and don't want to! - learn from her!

Do you guys think I should try and find a new student teaching placement even though it is so late in the game??

Thank you for your advice!!

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 30, 2009

It depends on your school, but no I don't think it's too late. Talk to your supervisor and let them know your concerns.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2009

What a great opportunity you have to actually spend time in the placement before your student teaching experience. I would talk to your supervisor at your university and discuss this with him/her. You do not want yelling/screaming/desk shaking in your repotoire of classroom management.

5. abrummitt

abrummitt Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Thank you both for your advise - I sent an email to my advisor asking to meet with him next week. I'm so worried he won't be able to find me a new placement and that I'll be stuck in this mess! I don't think I could be a "screamer" teacher, even if I wanted to be...

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2009

True- although you don't want that in your subconscious either right??? Good for you for taking the bull by the horns and emailing your advisor!

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jan 30, 2009

I was going to suggest that too - contact your advisor, express your concerns regarding the teacher, classroom, etc and see about a new placement.

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

How did your meeting go with your advisor? If you are unable to switch placements, than try to make the most of the situation. Take what you can from it that is good and remember all the things that you DON'T want to do as a teacher yourself. Try talking to other 1st grade teachers to learn how they do things as well so that you can learn from them, too. With any luck, your advisor will let you move to another teacher and it'll be a rewarding experience for you. :)

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

If you dont get placed in another room... at least you'll have a huge list on what not to do. Maybe you could bring sanity/structure for the kids.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 2, 2009

I would recommend getting a new placement--- you might learn what NOT to do, but really this is a time of learning what TO DO. If it takes awhile for placement, I wouldn't worry. My placement was almost 2 weeks late and I still was able to graduate after that semester. If the school sees it was a placement issue, they don't usually hold that against the student.

11. abrummitt

abrummitt Rookie

Feb 3, 2009

Thank you all for your encouragement/advice! I have requested to be reassigned and two different people at the school are working on it! I hope to have a new placement in the next week or so, and I'll let you know where I end up!

12. Always a Teach

Always a Teach New Member

Feb 4, 2009

Be the example

I would encourage you to hang in there and think of it as a great opportunity to be a great teacher for those kids. Although student teaching is meant for you to also learn from an experienced teacher, in this case, experience does not equal "good." However, you have been educationally trained to bring some great ideas to that classroom. If everyone turned there back on the disruptive classrooms, change would never occur. This is reality. You can't pick your students but you can instill a behavior management plan, illustrate effective teaching methods and impact those students. Remember, those students are still in-training and are only behaving the way they are allowed to behave. You have a great opportunity to model better teaching methods that could strengthen your abilities and shed light on the existing teacher.