Give slim kids higher marks, says diet guru

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

As someone who is "less than slim", this makes me sad. I understand, absolutely, the importance of a healthy lifestyle. I don't think, however, that success in school should be tied to it.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2012

Want a better grade? Get an eating disorder!

Problem with focusing on that end number is that there are different ways to get there. Same with any other grade. One can cheat and not get caught.

Once again, it seems as if the goal was written wrong! Should the goal be to understand and institute healthy living and eating habits not just a grade at the end? Seems we often miss the mark when we look at goals at attainable numbers.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 4, 2012

Since when is "slimness" a litmus test for health?

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 4, 2012

What about general indicator can you use?

This would obviously never come to pass... too many teachers show poor health habits themselves. It's hypocritical.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 4, 2012

What?

8. TutoringMatch

TutoringMatch Rookie

Jan 4, 2012

Thin students shouldn't be rewarded academically for being thin. It makes no sense. People should want to be healthy to be healthy, not to do better in school.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2012

I AM more or less "thin."

And I think it's ridiculous.

Grades in academic subjects should be based on academics.

I don't want a doctor or an accountant or a lawyer who majored in "thin." I don't want my kids' teachers to be ones who received academic grades for "slim" as opposed to math or history. There are too many people out there already who expect a cheering section every time they show up for something. How about using academic grades to award academic performance????

But note that the suggestion was NOT made by an educator. It was made by a "diet guru."

In other words, this is a publicity stunt, aimed to get his name out there so people will buy his books.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2012

Interesting that he's gaining traction among the French, so frequently touted for their healthy attitudes toward food and wine.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2012

Good grief!!

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2012

It's insane that someone's academic record could be skewed by his or her weight. I am in favor of a record which represents an accurate picture of the student's ability to understand and work with the content required by the state.

About as genius as my brother's chemistry tracher who let him pass the course (from a failing grade) by donating boxes of pencils. Lovely.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 4, 2012

Excellent points, Alice.

This suggestion is just ridiculous. If anything, I can see the BMI being applied to a students P.E. grade, but even then, the course should focus on overall fitness, not just "slimness".

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2012

I will never have a "healthy" BMI. I have a weird disorder where the biochemical pathway that takes calcium for my bones doesn't know how to "turn off". As a result, I have extremely low blood calcium and ridiculously dense bones. That makes them very heavy. I'm 5'7", and when I was wearing a size 6, with my ribs sticking out and my collar bone looking like it was about to eat my neck, I still weighed 170lbs. Bu every visual indicator, I was extremely underweight. I looked sick, but still had a BMI of 26.6, which is above a "healthy" BMI.

So, in short, I think this is a very bad idea.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 4, 2012

By the same token, I feel I need to lose some weight (something I've never had to worry about before), but according to the formula in the article, my BMI is less than 7. :confused:

I can assure you I do not look that "slim".

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012

This is ridiculous.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 14, 2012

So sad. Just as calories are not a good way to regulate food, weight is not a good way to calculate health. It's the bigger picture-fat, sodium, vitamins, etc., just as we should be looking at looking at endurance, strength, body image, food choices, etc.

I just ran a marathon. I do Crossfit. I have done triathlons. Yet I eat like crap and am not thin. Where would I fall? Am I healthy? Who knows. But a teacher just looking at me would certainly not be able to tell.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2012

I would have qualified for the "higher marks" based on BMI in school and I still think this is ridiculous even from that perspective. Yes, everyone can diet and exercise, but so much of BMI is based on genetics. If I eat "okay" and exercise some, I am naturally built to maintain a healthy frame. It's not something I ever really "tried" to maintain when I was younger- that's just how I was built. I don't think it would be fair for someone like me to get higher grades for something I was born with. Some people are simply built more muscular and may be fit, but overweight according to the BMI scale. Not to mention the genetic factors, when children are overweight parents are often more to blame than a child. A child eats what mom or dad puts on the table- they don't really have a choice in the matter. If mom and dad don't teach them about proper portion size and being active, by the time they start to learn this in health class they may be starting out already overweight which makes it a lot harder on them to lose/maintain. Also, I would imagine that focusing on losing weight in a shorter time frame (the article said something about students starting out overweight and then losing it making higher grades- which to me implies over a semester or something like that) would probably encourage eating disorder type of behaviors rather than healthy lifestyle changes.

19. Nathan6329

Nathan6329 Rookie

Jan 15, 2012

I know this may seem kind of cynical, but I cannot see a scenario like this working without causing anger and hostility from students and parents.

You're skinny so you get extra bonus points and get an A.

Well I'm sorry, you could have gotten this A if you would have lost some weight, but you only got enough points for a B+ because you're too fat.

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 16, 2012

That is quite saddening because my BMI is not between 18-25. In high school, though, I made myself sick to lose 24 pounds in just a few months, and it makes me even more sad to think about it. It was a petty plea back then. Thinking about all this, my weight has never had anything to do with my intelligence. I would not want to feel pressured by someone to lose weight, either.

21. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 16, 2012

1. This is just beyond the pale.
    2. I'm all for eating healthily (I do myself) but grades should reflect the objectives of the class. Do we now make the standards state, Students will know the causes of the American Revolution and express those causes by being slim? Students will be able to express a working knowledge of math operations while remaining slim? Seriously?
    3. I think if Americans adopt this model you will see a swell in homeschooling like no other time in educational history. (no pun intended.:D)