Give me your opinion

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by HeatherY, May 4, 2010.

1. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 4, 2010

Tell me what you think of this. This was a project my class did writing a postcard as if you were visiting a planet.

Dear mom and dad,
    I am on the 7th plant from the sun. I am Frozen like a popcecal its cold. I am veding (visiting) Uronus. I can see viter 2 (Viking 2) it is osaum (awesome). There is not much to do here but the shy (sky) is osum (awesome). On one side it is hot and on the other side it is Frozen. I have amaen (amazing) pictures.

No name at the end of the letter. The address to his parents reads Rrachel and chris.

This student's invented spelling really bothers me. When I do phonetic activities with him he does fine, but then I get this. I have had a lot of behavior issues with this one and this is actually really really good work from him even though he is very bright. There are usually a lot more problems with invented spelling. Also, the words he got out of books like Viking and the name of the planet should really be spelled correctly, don't you think? What do you think about this? Is there an issue here or am I jumping to conclusions? BTW this is a native English speaker.

3. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 4, 2010

That looks like what most of my first graders would write at this point in the year. I would be pretty concerned about this from a 3rd grader. I have certain kids who struggle more with actually spelling something they are looking at correctly instead of guessing the spelling. I always make them go back and fix it if it is a word they should spell correctly because it is in front of them. Maybe this kid just needs extra accountability. Invented spelling for no reason means he is not being careful in his work. But lots of the words he misspelled I would expect a third grader could spell... or at least get closer to the correct spelling. Does he struggle in other academic areas?

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2010

A few questions:
    Is this typical of the work he produces?
    What is his attention like in the classroom?
    Does he read/like to read?
    Can he identify his errors (i.e. if you tell him that there are 3 errors in a sentence, can he find them?)
    How are his reading comprehension skills?
    How are his math skills?

5. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 5, 2010

This student is very bright, but he has a lot of behavior problems. The parents don't think it's a problem, but it is. His reading comprehension is much better than his fluency which is about end of grade 2. He does not put any effort into his work. Doesn't try. That is why this is actually good work from him. And I could read it, which is not typical. Usually his writing is so bad (by choice) that I have to have him translate it. I have sent stuff home and told the parents what kind of work I receive in class, but there is no response and no change. I have noted it on the report cards, but I don't see much else I can do if the parents are going to ignore it. He is capable of much better. He refuses to try at all. His math skills are on level.

6. corney

corney Companion

May 5, 2010

My daughter is very similar. Looks as though he hasn't grasped the phonics. I would strongly suggest that he get some intervention in reading. I don't know if your school system has that sort of program for struggling children but he may benefit from it if you do.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 5, 2010

I can't help you but I can tell you that as a parent, my oldest has had this problem in the FIFTH grade! I was appalled. The interesting part though is he has a lot of good word choices, varied sentences and creative ideas so he has won a district creative writing award but his spelling is ATROCIOUS.

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

May 6, 2010

I'm having the same problem with a student's spelling in my class. Today I noticed that she spelled the word "called" "colld." She also struggles with reading comprehension and fluency, however has improved a lot since the beginning of the year The spelling, however, has not. I finally had to put her on her own individualized spelling list because she could not keep up with the lists I currently give. With her list I go over basic phonics with her each week and give her a list to practice at home.

9. corney

corney Companion

May 7, 2010

My daughter spells the same way.. they aren't hearing the vowel sounds as they should be spelled. She still spells was as wos. She also has trouble with the aw, au, ou, sounds and spelling of those words .. and when to use double consenants.. I'm finding that its the way they are being taught. They are very bright children but just aren't mastering the phonices as it relates to spelling. It's encouraging that you are recognizing this childs deficency and helping her over come it. Her teachers prior to you haven't done that so she is struggling. Not saying they are bad teachers just not as aware of the problem and if they were they didn't address it properly.

10. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

May 7, 2010

What really grabbed my attention from your post were 2 things: He does well with phonemic activities
    He has a behavior issue, but is really smart

I don't know this child, but from my own experience he sounds like a few students I've had in past years. Spelling is difficult for him, but he can do it during lessons and is not APPLYING what is taught. Therefore, hold him accountable.
    WHat I would do is circle each misspelled word from this paper and create his own "Personal Notebook Dictionary." Privately review each phoneme within each word and fix his spelling. Then, have him transfer the correction into his own "personal dictionary." It sounds like spelling is hard work for him, so make him do the hard work.

Each time he does an assignment, have him correct misspelled words in his "Personal Dictionary" and make him refer to it during writing assignments as well. I use this and it REALLY helps my struggling spellers throughout the year. Good luck!~

11. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 10, 2010

Nope, his spelling tests are terrible. Mostly because he doesn't do the homework with any accuracy and he doesn't correct it when we go over it. Many times he doesn't do it. Parents have been informed. I will send home his work sometimes to be signed with a note from me that says "I just wanted you to see the type of work I am receiving from student in class. He is capable of much better and this is not grade level work. Please sign that you are aware." They never comment. I think it is a combination of laziness and maybe a problem.