Give me a dose of reality -- Soon to be teacher.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TickledPink, May 12, 2009.

1. TickledPink

TickledPink New Member

May 12, 2009

Hey, all.

I am a senior (will be certified to teach EC-4th) and will be Student Teaching this coming fall. I think a lot of people not in the education field have a misconception about the number of hours you actually spend working! I feel like I have a basic understanding of what I am in for, but I wanted to ask all you experienced teachers so that there are no surprises in store for me!

1) What time do you arrive at school in the morning and what time do you leave in the afternoon?

My neighbor who is a retired teacher was like, "Well at least you'll be done by 4 most days." And I was like, "What?!" I want to know what she did to get out of there so early!

2) How much time do you actually get off during the summer? Here we get out the First week of June and start again in the last week of August. But, do you actually get all that time off to do whatever?

Thanks for all your answers!

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 12, 2009

1. My contract hours are from 8:00-3:335. Occasionally I am only there those hours (although I always get here by at least 7:45). Sometimes I am here until 7 or 8. Part of the reason I stick around so late sometimes is that I refuse to take grading home with me. I do put in a few hours of planning a week here and there, though.

2. Our school district gets done June 5. That is the last day for teachers. Teachers report back one week before students do, although the summer is a great time to take more classes if you are planning on doing so.

I'm a first year teacher if that helps at all, too. Hope the info helped! :)

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

May 12, 2009

I get into school about 7:45 and leave between 4 and 4:15 most days. My first year I regularly stayed until 5 or 5:30 though.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 12, 2009

I typically arrive at the latest 7:00 and stay until about 5:00. Our scheduled hours are 7:45-3:30. It all depends on how much you have to prepare for the next day (week), organize, etc. I also manage an afterschool club and hold tutorials (you will get suckered into a lot of that stuff your first year).

I usually teach summer school so - technically I have about 5 weeks vacation over the summer. Although I have weeks at a time of professional development (completely voluntary). District's vary but we go back a full 2 weeks before the kids arrive.

I was once told by a professor that you may only be required to show up for 180 days, but you will do 365 days worth of work in those 9 months.

6. kacieann

kacieann Companion

May 12, 2009

KinderCowgirl I could not have said it better than your professor!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 12, 2009

1. Our contract time is 7:50 to 3:20. I arrive at 7ish and, on a good day, am out by 4. My first couple of years it wasn't unusual for me to stay until 6. But, I haven't had to that as much this year (year 4 for me).

For my first 2 years I was a cheerleading coach which meant practices until 5:30 2 nights a week and games lasting until 10ish 2 nights a week. Bluh. And, that is a way easier coaching schedule than others.

2. We usually get out of school mid-May and return mid-August.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 12, 2009

1) What time do you arrive at school in the morning and what time do you leave in the afternoon? I arrive between 7:30 and 8 and leave between 5:30 and 6 most nights. If I really work hard during prep time I can be out by 4, but I usually feel like taking a break and relaxing (checking email, eating a snack, etc.).

2) How much time do you actually get off during the summer? Here we get out the First week of June and start again in the last week of August. But, do you actually get all that time off to do whatever? It's my first year teaching, so this is my first summer off. School gets out for us on June 9th, but the teachers still have to work the 10th and 11th. I have 2 seminars/in-services in June, July completely off as of right now, and in the beginning of August I have an in-service. We have to go back the last week in August for meetings, prep days, and open house. I'm sure I'll be in and out of my room all summer, though. There are so many things I want to change for next year, new things to make and laminate, bulletin boards to re-do, etc. The two days I get paid to prepare in August will not be enough!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 12, 2009

1. I'm usually there from 7:40 to 3:30--- I've shown up as early as 6:45 and stayed as late as 8:00. I may have to stay late to grade things if I don't want to bring them home. But I would say some days I put in an extra 2-3 hours lesson planning and grading.

2. Don't really know the answer to the summer yet--- my first year teaching. I put in a good week or two cleaning up my classroom last summer, I'll need that again for this upcoming year. Preparing my units now that I know what I'm doing will probably take a few weeks--- I'm starting fresh basically.

A warning: student teaching will be a shock to your system, but you'll get through it. Your first year of teaching is probably 3 times worse than student teaching honestly. But its WORTH it--- get through your first year, its the survival year, nobody expects you to actually be good at it either :) But while I'm exhausted most days, I show up every morning wanting more.

Good luck!

10. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 12, 2009

I actually don't mind bringing stuff home with me. I have a seven year old and like to cook, so I come in at 7 each day, but leave by 3:15 most days (kids get out @ 2:30). I'll bring home grading or planbook, stuff that has to be cut out, whatever. I do it on the couch, or in the office at home.

11. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

Overall, the work that you take home with you is what gets to you. I suggest taking one day every week to plan for the next week. Then turn in all of your copies for that whole week. That way it's done and you don't have to worry about it every morning.

12. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

May 13, 2009

1) What time do you arrive at school in the morning and what time do you leave in the afternoon?

I get to school by 7:15 each morning. Teachers do not need to report until 8:30. I go in early because my husband and I work in neighboring schools so its silly to drive two cars, but he has to be to work at 7:30. I use this time to do plans, copies, grading, handle memos, etc. It works for me because i am a morning person, and come 3:05 when we can contractually leave, I leave!
    The key to my success is being really organized. I plan for the following week on Wednesday and Thursday. I gather all of my copies and run them off for the following week on Friday. Mondays I handle all memos and bulletin board things, and Tuesday I use to (re)organize an area of my classroom if I don't have a meeting. Its not always perfect but it works really well for me. I leave by 3:15 everyday and if something didn't get done, I do it the next morning. I have a three year old at home and he is my priority when I am home.

2) How much time do you actually get off during the summer? Here we get out the First week of June and start again in the last week of August. But, do you actually get all that time off to do whatever?

I'm in NY so we have students right up until the end of June. SO I usually have approximately 10 weeks off - we go back the day after Labor Day for two days of staff development and then two days of students. This year I am working 1/2 days in a summer enrichment program through July - I don't normally work at all but the money was quite an incentive! I will have all of August off though - all of my professional development will be scheduled for afternoons in July when I am already working. I start getting things ready for my classroom in July too - then I go in one day in August and set it up. Other than that, I am on vacation.