Girls can be so nasty...help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 15, 2007

I have a small group of RUDE girls in my class this year. They sit there and pick on other children, even physically. They have been targeting the girl in my class with adhd. They sit there and laugh when she answers questions, tell her to shut up, and just look at her with an "evil" stare. Today, one girl shouted out to the girl "Well, we all hate you so you should just get out." The other day I heard the group of girls talking about how they want to form a "klan" against her.

I want to help the girl on how to handle this situation and when they make their comments/looks what she should do. Any suggestions?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2007

I'm on the run so I won't type up a whole response. Instead I'll refer you to what I said the last time I read a similar thread: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=46487

Basically, you promise to make their days a living hell if they don't stop being bullies. You don't dress it up and make it pretty; you call it what it is. You let them know that there will be immediate severe consequences the very next time they act as bullies, and the time after that and the time after that.

4. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Nov 15, 2007

One thing you can do is have them give one or two "put ups" for every put down. I use two in my class, and "I'm sorry" and complimenting someone's backpack/shoes, don't count. "Shut up" is never allowed in my classroom. Also, there's always one or two ringleaders. Contact their parents/guardians.

What did you do when this happened? I would have sent this girl out of my class and let her know that she was not in charge. It's hard for me to relate, because I teach middle school. I see this all the time, but it is absolutely not tolerated in my class. I have the ability to punish a little more than an elementary school teacher.

5. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Nov 15, 2007

That is excellent advice, alice.

Bullying and hazing and making threats is 100% against the rules. Don't allow it even for a second. If they are forming a gang, let them know the police will be contacted and you have zero tolerance. Come down hard and fast or you'll have a "mean girls" click on your hands.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 15, 2007

I agree with your post, but I'm not sure what you mean by the above statement. Maybe there's restrictions I'm not aware of that allow middle school teachers more latitude in punishment?

7. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Nov 15, 2007

What I mean is, I can give detentions, referrals, on campus detention, send them to the counselor (not really punishment, I know). I think it's a little harder to remove students from your class in elementary school.

8. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Nov 15, 2007

Wow, that should absolutely not be tolerated. What have you tried so far to remedy this situation? I would talk to your school counselor about this. These girls are bullies and this behavior needs to be addressed. Your counselor should be able to help.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 15, 2007

I had some girls doing this to a girl in our class with ADHD. They were giving notes to her that said "I hate you" and things like that. I sat them down, stated flat out that it is unacceptable and why, and then called their parents. Hasn't been a problem since, at least as far as I can see. We have a counseling intern right now, and she is meeting with all the girls once a week, which is great. Hopefully they can get the information they need to prevent this stuff as they get older. I definitely have a "queen bee" in my class, and lots of "wannabes."

Basically with this bunch, they are testing the limits all the time. (See "eye rolling girls" thread.) My 3rd grade girls have been "that group" since preschool!

10. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Nov 15, 2007

This kind of stuff just infuriates me. I know, I know, boys do mean things, too. But it just kills me the way girls team up on a "weaker" girl, and the way some otherwise nice girls will turn on a friend just to be cool with the Queen Bee. I know this sort of behavior happens with boys when they get older, but that hasn't been my experience with 4th graders. When my boys fight, they argue and get over it. It's more one-on-one. They don't rally a team against another little boy.