Girl Tornado will not Follow Directions...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Titwillow, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

Ok, I have a little one who is nearly three and is a Tornado. She will not follow directions, will not respond to teacher's directions/rules, will not do anything she is asked or told to do. Anything you want her to do you have to physically move her. Example:

It's morning circle and we are now lining up to transition to the other side of the room. This child will stay seated or more likely run away laughing. You then have to physically move her into the line...or just take the rest of the kids who are ready across the room while the Tornado wanders, laughs, screams, or says 'Ouch'!

or

She is outside during recess and the whistle has been blown for kids to line up on the curb. She continues to play, runs around and laughs. We've given her jobs to help clean up an area or something to do but she seems too immature to handle anything. All of our kids if asked to pick up an area are capable, she won't clean up but will 'play' with the items.

We have tried acknowledging and praising kids around her, giving her extra praise/attention when she is doing something remotely correct. Losing my patience and it feels awful! Any suggestions would be more than appreciated! Thank you!!!!

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jan 30, 2011

I have a 5 yo boy same thing. Everyone else is lined up and ready to go in, not him. He has to run around and go down the slide 500 more times. He is now my line leader and he gets told to go to our spot and yell "time to line up" so the rest of the class lines up behind him. First, this gets him lined up and gives him a special position- he is first in line- it is a reward. He is the first to know recess is over (I whisper it to him- wherever he is I go over to him and let him know- sometimes we can our little sign) and he gets to go line up first. Second, he gets to yell and he has that sense of control and ownership over recess- in his own mind. It is his job exclusively.
    I no longer have to wait for him, he does exactly what I need for him to do without any hassle. I do not have to use my voice at all to call the kids in from recess. He does it all.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 30, 2011

That does work well, the special job trick.

I also like taking a moment, alone, inside the classroom to consider how much of my "order" is really necessary.

Are there times we are lining up when we may not really need to? Are there times when I require a certain behavior when it really isn't the only option?

These places I don't necessary give up my prior request, I just stop mentioning it. I give the stress away. I say "lets' get ready to go." The children do what we used to do except the tornado. Then when they do what I needed, I praise them, same as I always did. There maybe a few followers that convert to tornado land, but I have given up the stress for that moment. It is just a coping mechanism, I am aware. And you have to be very sure that whatever you decide not to pick as your battle really isn't important. If it is something that will be a problem, this will not work. I found I had several times when I was requiring something that really wasn't completely the only option. Giving some stress away totally helped.