Gingerbread Man Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 26, 2006

What are some good activities for the book The Gingerbread Man. I want to read different versions and compare the story elements. I bought some Gingerbread cookies. What other ideas are there that will tie into standards?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 26, 2006

There are tons of lessons with that theme here at AtoZ. Go to lessons and put in keyword gingerbread.

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Nov 26, 2006

Check out this site: http://www.littlegiraffes.com/gingerbread.html

I love doing a unit on the Gingerbread Man, its my favorite all year! I will spend the next 2 weeks on this theme.

We also decorate our kindergarten pod with gingerbread houses. Over Thanksgiving break we sent home a gingerbread man cut-out of cardstock for the students to decorate. This week we will put up paper on our walls to look like gingerbread houses, complete with candy cane pictures, peppermints and gumdrop pictures. We then hang the students gingerbread men on the houses. When we get our houses put up I will post a picture!

5. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

When I was student teaching (YEARS ago), one of the teachers made gingerbread men and when they were baking, they escaped! She put little flour "footprints" to leave a trail. The kids loved it!

6. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

don't forget about gingerbread baby by jan brett. A great story for your gingerbread theme!!!

7. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Nov 28, 2006

Gingerbread activity

I teach first grade and all of the first grade teachers did a scavenger hunt activity with the Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett. We had die cuts of gingerbread men with clues on the back and tried to "catch" the gingerbread men around the school...we started in our classroom and then went to the office, nurse, gym, playground, cafeteria, etc. This activtiy was to familiarize the kiddos with the school but you could always just do this as a fun activity.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 4, 2006

What were the clues you used for the scavenger hunt?

9. skelley

skelley Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Gingerbread Men

One more activity you can do is to give the kids one cookie and tell them to take 1 bite of it. Then graph where they bit it: on leg, arm, head, body. It turns out cute and is a good way to review graphing skills. (For the graph, take a gingerbread man and white out certain parts to show the missing bite). Hope that helps.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

We make a giant gingerbread man cookie and he escapes when our custodian opens the oven door. We put up lost/reward posters throughout the school. The principal announces every morning that there has been a sighting of the gingerbread man at _________, each day coming back closer to school. Finally on the last day, he is seen running around the school, and when the kids come back from gym, the gingerbread man has returned and now back as a cookie with a poem attached. Then we eat him!:p The kids LOVE it, and even my classes from years ago STILL talk about the missing gingerbread man.:love:

11. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Dec 6, 2006

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Dec 6, 2006

Thanks for the ideas. Hmmm what about a Gingerbread Baby Bulletin board! I'm envisioning a big butcher paper gingerbread house..... I don't know how I'd do it.... or when! But any good ideas for integrating setting/character/problem/solution of the gingerbread man stories into a bulletin board? We've been charting different versions of the story. I'm thinking of reading the Gingerbread Baby last and have them make a flip book with the different parts, then we'll add it to our chart. Then we can hang the flip books on the bulletin board. But I'm not sure how I can make that look cute.. haha.

OOOH what about this. Maybe each kid can make their own construction paper house. The roof can be where they write the setting. The door can be where they list the characters, and two windows can be for the problem and solution.... hmmm what do you think?? Then they can decorate them to look like gingerbread houses.