Gingerbread House

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

Hi! Just thought I'd share that I am making a Gingerbread house in my classroom for Christmas(with the kids help) I have this little room attached to my bigger room..it's this crawl space, just big enough to crawl in and sit and read or do puzzles. So, above the little open door, I have put batting as snow and tomorrow will begin adding details...candy canes on both sides of the doors, chimney, etc...

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2005

Sounds cute!! Can you fit in the crawl space or see kids when they are in there? I'm having trouble picturing the space-

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 27, 2005

That sounds so cute! You should try to take some pictures to post on here for us to see!

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

Well, I can fit in there if need be...have to crawl in and then can sit comfortably. I have had groups of 8 kids in there with me to read books...but not for long as it gets very warm with all the body heat! I only allow two children in there at a time and they have to leave the light on...I can see them quite well from the other side of the room. It's part of our little kitchen area now. Right outside the little room are the play kitchen sets with dishes, a table, and high chair. Inside the little room are doll beds/blankets, and whatever else I choose to put in there . The door into this room is "open" and at it's peak is just about the height of the kids to walk in...though they may have to stoop a bit. The ceiling in it is slanted so the kids can only stand up right in the center.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I wish I had a cozy crawl space in my classroom for that......my kids would love it!! It would fit in great with our gingerbread theme this month!! I'm jealous!

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

I might make a cardboard cut out of a Christmas tree right outside the door. The kids can paint it green and add paper ornaments that they color. Sounds like I could scratch next weeks lesson plans entirely and just make the Gingerbread house all week with the kids...wouldn't be the first time I didn't follow my plans!!!

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 27, 2005

Grammy, Next week I am doing a gingerbread theme with my class. I bought today premade gingerbread dough from Pillsbury - saves me a lot of time. All I have to do is cut out the gingerbread men and bake. Friday at the end of the day I am going to let the kids decorate with icing and other goodies. They may have a sugar high but we will have fun. Check out www.enchantedlearning.com they have some gingerbread stories on there you can print for your kids.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 27, 2005

Thanks AMK! Have fun with your unit...last year the kids acted out the whole story and it was a blast. We did it for our annual holiday program for the parents. I love the pre-made dough. I've done that with peanut butter cookies that we made owls out of..it's just a lot easier than from scratch and you can be more certain that they turn out just right!