gingerbread dough

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherkasey, Dec 10, 2002.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 10, 2002

I just tried to make gingerbread men with my class since we are doing an entire week on the gingerbread man. After quite a of time and flour we finally got the dough right for our gingerbread men. It was soooooo sticky :eek: (kinda like oatmeal) that it kept sticking to the wax paper and rolling pin. Does anyone have or know where I can get a good recipe for gingerbread dough... one that doesn't turn out like the sticky disaster I dealt with today? Thanks!!!:D

3. turboteach

turboteach Companion

Dec 10, 2002

Great Gingerbread

Hi teacherkasey;

I have a great gingerbread recipe...it turns out stiff enough to roll out and use cookie cutters on. I've used it for gingerbread houses too. The trick is once you've mixed up all the ingredients, divide the dough into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for about 1/2 to 1 hour.

Here it is:
    2/3 c. shortening
    2/3 c. granulated sugar
    1 egg
    3/4 c. molasses (fancy grade)
    2 tsp. powdered ginger
    1/2 tsp each of salt, cloves, cinnamon
    1 tsp. baking soda

Beat shortening and sugar together until fluffy, add egg and molasses, and beat until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients, add in 2 batches to the wet mixture. Divide in half and wrap in plastic, put in fridge for about 1 hour. Roll out and cut in desired shapes. Bake in a preheated oven 375 degrees farenheit or 190 celsusis for 12 - 15 minutes, until firm to touch. Allow to cool completely before handling.

(Mmmmmm, gingerbread - I love Christmas :) )

Hope this helps...let me know how it works for you!

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Dec 13, 2002

from cookie co.

Gingerbread Dough:
    This dough bakes into a firm, sturdy cookie, making it appropriate for gingerbread houses, large cookies or ornaments. This recipe makes enough dough for one house plus accessories.

Ingredients:
    51/2 cups unsifted flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    3 tsp. ground ginger
    2 tsp. ground cloves
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    1 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    11/4 cup molasses
    1 large egg
    1 tsp. vanilla

5. turboteach

turboteach Companion

Dec 16, 2002

SORRY

Hi teacherkasey:

I'm SOOOO sorry...in my recipe, as you've probably noticed, I forgot the flour. (3 3/4 cups) Kind of an important ingredient...my head is in vacation land already. I'm sorry.

Hope everything turned out ok for your gingerbread men.

6. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Dec 16, 2002

sticky dough

Dear casey,
    One helpful hint is to keep the dough as cold as possible, removing only a lump at a time. Also, gingerbread and any other cookie dough tastes super if you roll it in powdered sugar instead of flour!:eek: :D maxine

7. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 16, 2002

thank you

thanks for the recipes!:p