Gifts/Notes for students at the end of your St Teaching?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Topsy, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

Dec 4, 2017

Is it customary for the student teacher to give the students gifts at the end of the student teaching placement? What about notes -- are individual notes frowned upon?

I am in a class of 21 children, 2nd grade.

One thing I'd like to do is give them a bulk box of Ticonderoga pencils. For some reason, there are no more than a dozen extra pencils in the sharp pencil basket, and those are getting pretty short. Also, there are some cheap, novelty pencils that never sharpen and/or break instantly. The CT is adamant that students use their pencils until they are basically scraping paper with wood before she allows sharpening. As I write this, I have a feeling I should not give them boxes and boxes of new, fresh, high quality pencils because I may be disrupting the way the teacher wants her classroom to work, or that she may take it as an offense.

Any advice is appreciated.

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Dec 4, 2017

Giving your class pencils is a perfectly appropriate gift. That's what I did. I gifted my co-op with a 50-pack of pencils all decorated in the school colors. I think your co-op is just trying to reduce the amount of time spent sharpening pencils. At that age, kids will use a dull pencil as an excuse to get up/waste time. She may take it to the extreme, but I wouldn't expect offense at a gift of supplies. If you don't want to risk it, bookmarks are an alternative, or chunky erasers.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 4, 2017

I wanted to go the fun route at the end of my student teaching. I bought all the kids two games of bowling and shoes.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2018

I know this is an old thread, but I did give my students individualized notes at the end of my student teaching. I got the idea from the other student teacher who taught English at my school. It took a lot of time but it was a good idea because I think a lot of students enjoyed reading them. We had one student who refused to talk to me or my mentor for a few months. She read her note, seemed genuinely happy, and said thank you. I also brought my students mini cupcakes.