Gifts from students.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by halpey1, Nov 24, 2009.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 24, 2009

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2009

When I taught elementary, I loved getting homemade gifts. I loved a ceramic Christmas tree with little colored lights and a big light in the center. One student's grandmother did a 3D needlepoint gingerbread house that was awesome too. I use these every Christmas.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2009

I have a bunch of those pictures and crafts tucked away in a box--I can't just quite bring myself to throw them away.

My favourite gift is a compilation of statements about me written by grade 8 students--kind of a "what we'll remember". I cry every time a read it.

Today, a close second would be the visit paid to me by two of those grade 8s who spent their lunch break walking 20 minutes to and from the high school to visit me.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 24, 2009

Yes! Visits from old students make my day. This year, I have the brother of a girl I had my first year teaching. She comes in every Thursday to pick him up and it's awesome. :)

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 24, 2009

When I did my student teaching, a 3rd grade boy painted a picture (on canvas) of me teaching math. His family loves art and has various supplies readily available for him to use. The best part: I have no hair in the painting. Just a big, bald head.

7. word girl

word girl Rookie

Nov 24, 2009

I have a rock that a girl decorated and she painted the word 'girls' on it - in other words, "Girls Rock!" I love it and use it as a paper weight on my desk.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 25, 2009

Word girl - girls do rock! I'm trying to get my female students to understand this. :D

9. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Nov 25, 2009

* I had a student a couple of years ago who was extremely talented as an artist. At the end of the year, she gave me a framed drawing of hers.
    * When my youngest son was a toddler, I had a student give me a box with things to make a snowman--some old scarves, hats, some sticks, carrots for nose, etc. along w/ a book about making a snowman, some cocoa, and even a disposable camera. She wrote a sweet note about it being an activity I could do w/ my son.
    * Homemade cards and letters. LOVE those.