Gifts from students

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 22, 2005

What types of gifts have you received this year from your students? I actually got some really great things! Here are some of the best:
    -One parent knit me a really pretty scarf
    -A $20 Dunkin Donuts gift card
    -Bath and Body Works antibacterial soap
    -A silver jewelry box from Things Remembered

It was kind-of funny...even a few of the kids commented on the good gifts that I got saying, "Wow, you got some really good stuff. Kids usually give teachers things like a wooden reindeer or something stupid like that!"

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2005

This was a gift to the entire staff--a parent made a memorial donation in the school's name in honour of a teacher who passed away suddenly last week.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

Oh Mrs. C that is an awesome gift!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

I got about $175 in Target gift cards (from the class and from individual parents), an L.L. Bean tote bag with my initials, candles, Bath & Body Works sets, an ornament made by a student, cute pen, even mistletoe.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2005

Cookies, cookies, and more cookies.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

A was given a magnetic bookmark by my naughty boy, a drawn picture by my strange girl, and chocolate by a student that isn't even mine lol.

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2005

Ok, it wasn't all cookies this year- just felt like it. I had one mom make me a fleece hat and scarf in frog design and a really neat santa checking his list statue. But, the rest- cookies- some mishaped, some undercooked and some I know the kids made by themselves. Ever have one of those years?

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2005

Just curious what the rest of you do...........I open my gifts when the kids aren't there and send thank you's out right away. I always be sure to say thank you to the child and the parent as well. I don't feel comfortable opening in front of everyone because I feel bad for those who can't or don't bring something.......they shouldn't have to see me open and say thanks to all those kiddos and then sit there and feel bad about not having anything. Do any of you feel like that, or not. Just curious..........I have done it both ways, and for the last few years have not opened in front of everyone.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 22, 2005

I do the same thing kinder; it's hard enough watching the other kids when those who bring gifts give them to me, without opening in front of them also. For a few years I wrote thankyous and handed them out that day, but I have started mailing them for a couple reasons - kids love to get mail!, and I want to be sure that the parents also get a thank-you.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

Not in front of everyone. My behavior student wanted me to show everyone what he brought. I didn't know how not to, so I showed them. Then told them they could make me something (draw a picture). Only one wanted to the other two didn't care. Oh and behavior student gave me his drawing lol. So I had two drawings.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 22, 2005

I would like to open them privately, but the students who give the gifts beg me and I don't want to disappoint them. What I do is call up each giver while the others are busy getting ready for the day. That seems to solve the problem. I sent a couple of thank yous home with them but most will be sent out.

13. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 22, 2005

I always open them up in front of the kids. The kids who did not bring anything are usually more excited than the ones who did. They all want to know what I got. It is really exciting when the gift is something smelly like candles, lotion, cookies. Then we pass it around and everyone takes a sniff. This year I got two music boxes. So we each take turns winding it up and listening to the tunes. One of the boxes had a plastic cover over the gears. I was able to show the kids how it worked. There were several who had never seen the inside of a music box before. Who would have thought you could get a science lesson in the middle of opening Christmas presents. Then there was the little girl who brought me the sweetest gift. It brought tears to my eyes, but I wrote about it on another thread.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 23, 2005

I do not open the presents in front of the kids. not all my kids will be able to bring something in.

But here is what I got:
    paper and pen with my name on it - I love it
    a teacher's ornament
    Cookies

The best was a little boy in my school is I ADORE came in with a present for me which was very heavy. I opened it when the kids were doing their work in my desk where no one can see. It was A 5 POUND BOX OF CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The other teacher's couldnt believe it. But it was so sweet.
    I received other kind of candy from others too:)

15. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 23, 2005

I do the same thing and I have sixth graders. Unfortunately, those that gave feel badly that I don't open them in front of the class. SIGH!!!!

16. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 23, 2005

I had very generous students this year. I had my usual mugs, candles, Christmas towels, and ornaments. I also got about $150 in gift certificates. What is so funny is that usually I get lots of homemade cookies and candies. This was always difficult as we usually travel to be with family. this year my husband had surgery so we can't go anywhere. would you believe I did not get ANY cookies or candies? LOL

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2005

Isn't that just the way. I have a question if you all recieve homemade cookies from the kids do you eat them? I am so germaphobic (oh just look at hte bathroom thread) , that I would probably tell the kids they are wonderful and throw them away after they left. Is that horrible?

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 23, 2005

Oh, Jaime Marie, I am the same way. I have a hard time eating anything not knowing where it came from. Forget it if kids' hands have been in it.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2005

Oh good I am glad I am not the only one!

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2005

Unfortunately, I don't eat the cookies. Maybe I am a germaphobe like you JaimeMarie- I just can't eat them. All I picture is where their hands are all day when they're with me! In the nose, down the pants, etc. etc. I know parents make them, but I also don't know where their parents hands have been or how clean their kitchen is...

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 23, 2005

I always worry about how clean the house and kitchen is.
    So I just don't eat it. The only one I eat stuff from is a former student that I worked with. I used to met him at his house every morning to take the bus into Portland (hr ride). And I tutored him at his house. His mom is extremely clean and Robbie was in the fast food cooking program. So he knew to keep clean when cooking. The other one I eat stuff from is a student that has Down Syndrome. His mom would cook and I know her house is clean! And he did not help lol.

22. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Dec 23, 2005

I hate to say it, but I do throw the homemade cookies and candy away. One of my students came to school with a navy blue sweatshirt covered with cat hair. He handed me cookies that he and his mom made. It sounds so ungrateful ... but I just would rather be safe than sorry!

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2005

This was a good year for gifts in my room(yea Lve2teach I have had those kinds of years) oh and i don't eat the food unless I know for sure...This years gifts were, 24.00 to Kohls, 30.00 cash, a watch from Marshall Fields(from a doctor's family), cashews, angel ornament, Alveeno lotion/bath set, another bath set(I forget the scent), and what year would be complete without at least one coffee cup filled with hard candy?! That's all I remember ... I open the gifts both ways...privately or in front to share with the class and if a child feels bad I tell them it doesn't matter at all and they are ok after that.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 24, 2005

Grammy sounds like you got a good gift load this year! Do you think that as a child gets older then feel worse about not getting you something? It's pretty easy to change a preschooler to first grader around and have them do something nice for you. But what about a fourth grade student?

25. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 24, 2005

It seems a shame so many homemade cookies are being thrown out. Especially when there are so many homeless shelters around that would just love to have homemade cookies for Christmas.

26. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 24, 2005

I have to confess that I was thinking the same thing. I think, if I was not going to eat the homemade goodies, I would send out a notice saying I was on a diet or whatever so would be unable to have sweets. A fair amount of money goes into making cookies, fudge, etc. I'm not flaming anyone, I just wonder if there couldn't be something better to do. I often get toiletries I cannot use, but I usually donate them to a women's center.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 24, 2005

That is why I was asking. I feel horrible, but I don't even know if shelters would take them. I think there is some law about homemade products or something.
    I also give the toiletries away if I don't like the smell. I get a headache from a heavy scents. People would look at me crazy if I told them I was on a diet.

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2005

I was just thinking that many times kids bring in cookies for holiday parties and we feed them to the kids(I don't eat any!) So, why not freeze them for a snack later on for the kids? I have done that when too many treats are brought in for parties.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 24, 2005

We don't have a freezer at school.

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 24, 2005

Oh wait yes we do in the teachers room. I was thinking in the classroom. I am tired or something lol.

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 24, 2005

Good idea, Grammy.

32. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Dec 25, 2005

Freezing the treats is a great idea! We have a Valentine's Party!! I'm going to do that!! Thanks!