Gifts for students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mbenner, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mbenner

mbenner New Member

Nov 4, 2011

Hi, I'm a student teacher in the 4th grade. I really love my students and would love to give them something before I leave in December. Just so you're aware I have 57 students so the gifts can not be costly since that would add up VERY quickly. I was thinking about notes to each along with a class gift. I'm from Michigan originally but since my parents moved to Pennsylvania I am doing my student teaching there and they love to ask me questions about MI so I want to get a classroom book about MI, but I am looking for other ideas or expansions of the two I've mentioned. Thanks for your help!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

Some you made is just as precious.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2011

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

Hmm..not sure exactly how much you want to spend. I would recommend keeping it on the low side.

As mentioned above you could make something for them--but not sure if you have that kind of time for 57 students.

One thing I give for Christmas presents when I taught 3rd and 4th grade was the dollar store stuffed animals. I am amazed at how much even the boys love stuffed animals. For $1/student I couldn't find anything that got them more excited.

If $1/student is too much, I agree with the above post that oriental trading is a good place to get items for students.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2011

I would just get the class a gift. I like your idea - a handwritten note to each student (whoa, that's a lot) and then just a class gift. We have to be practical here!

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

As far as a class gift, consider a new game for their math or literacy center.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2011

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 4, 2011

I think a class gift is sufficient.

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2011

Another idea is a Recipe For a Great Class. For example, if there are 28 students in your class. Tell them that there are 28 necessary ingredients for a great class. #1 you need to have a great listener. A student that always listens really well is _____. (say students name). Continue with 28 different ideas or or a couple you might need to put 2 students for the same ingredient. Watch the children beam as their name is read. Also, this makes a clear statement that you see greatness in each one of them. Then give them a copy of the recipe signed by you. Maybe even then kick it off with a small rectangle cake (so it is easy to cut) that says "Celebrating A Great Class". I actually did this recipe with a few of my 4th grade classes, although I never got them a cake. They loved hearing the recipe and hearing a nice thing said about them in front of the class.

11. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Nov 4, 2011

Oh my gosh I love this idea!

12. forkids

forkids Cohort

Nov 5, 2011

I like the class gift idea - affordable for you and something they can all enjoy. Another idea might be to to just celebrate your time together with ice cream sundaes (provide toppings, etc.) or maybe cookies and juice since it's December.

13. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2011

CutNGlue, what are some of the games that you play with dice? Sounds like something my fourth graders would like.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 5, 2011

The dollar stores around here sell two decks of cards for a buck; teach them some math games using a deck of cards, maybe include a copy of the rules and a deck of cards for each.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2011

How about making each a bookmark with a photo of you and the child?
    You could add something that you will miss about the child or always remember such as:
    I will always remember your jokes (singing, stuffed animals, crazy socks, etc).

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 5, 2011

I played whatever games the teachers I worked with had for other purposes and in my classroom I used literacy based games. The idea is to use the dice for math application.

I did addition, subtraction, multiplication and order of operation. I never did division but you certainly could! I used the one with 3 dice inside a die to give them multiple numbers to work with for more complexity. Which dice I use, how many I use, etc. depended on age and math concept.

You do have to make sure whatever game board you are playing can handle the small or large numbers you will be working with.

You could also do a roll and record and see who gets up to 100 or 1000 (if you are using bigger numbers) by using a number chart and crayons to color in that many spaces you rolled. That also has a lot of problem solving and mental math strategies application.

You can use them for anything. You just have to think out what kind of calculations do you want them to practice and use that to guide you.

17. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Nov 5, 2011

When I left my student teaching placement in first grade, I created "memory bags" for students. I cut out different shapes using colored construction paper and the ellison press: valentine's heart, shamrock, easter basket, etc. and put in a paper bag. Then I gave each student a sharpened pencil, a peacock feather, and some other miscellaneous items that would remind them of lessons I taught. They really enjoyed the gift and it was very inexpensive! Maybe you could give them a map of MI and some other items that would remind them of your lessons...

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011

You could get a copy of the alphabet book for Michigan to give as a class gift!