Gifts for Parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lola09, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Lola09

Lola09 Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

I want my students (4th grade) to make something for the parents for Christmas. Something little, but cute. Any ideas? Thanks!

3. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2008

I wasn't going to do anything, but a colleague came up with a good idea. Our fifth graders are going to write a short essay on their favorite holiday memory. Then they'll decorate it and I'll put it on black tagboard for a "frame". Maybe I'll find the picture hangers and hot glue that on. Putting it up would become a holiday tradition in my home if my son had done one.

4. Lola09

Lola09 Rookie

Dec 3, 2008

Thanks for the idea. I think I will do this.. I like it!

5. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Dec 4, 2008

I am going to do a painting project with the kids and teach them how to paint poinsettias. I am going to teach them about the origins of the poinsettia too.
    When the project is done I laminate the painting(s). The kids roll them and wrap them and wah-lah instant parent gift.

I'd love other ideas though...

6. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Dec 6, 2008

I'd love to hear anyone's adeas for Kindergarten!

7. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Dec 6, 2008

I have my students make conversation cards to put on their dining room tables for their families to use. It is so easy to do and the parents really appreciate the gift - good conversations!

I make a copy of questions for students to use (maybe you wouldn't have to do this with older students) and have each student pick 10 of them to copy down onto pre cut construction paper cards. I take a holiday picture of each child and they glue it onto the top card. Hole punch them and put them on a binding ring. Tie some ribbon on it and its good to go...

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2008

The HOTTEST one that was always a hit with Pre-K & K parents, is the good old PLASTER OF PARIS HANDPRINT!
    I still have my son's & daughter's Handprints that their teachers did with them in K. They have holes on them and a string attached so they can hang on the Christmas Tree every year. I love them! Maybe I'll pass them on to them soon, for their own trees.
    Rebel1

9. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

Probably to late for this year...but I am making dry erase boards. Just have them decorate the boarder of a piece of paper and laminate it. Attach magnets on the back and velcro a dry erase pen and piece of felt to the front (for erasing).

10. janine

janine New Member

Dec 14, 2008

One of my favorite gifts that I received as a parent was a simple self-portrait that my daughter made of herself (about 5 X 7 inches), which was then framed in tagboard and the frame was then decorated with hand drawn designs, glittery sequins, etc.. The back has a message (to me from her) and includes her name and date. A few magnets were attached making it suitable for regrigerator posting! I love being able to see a version of my child's art and her "vision" of herself at that age.

11. MODave

MODave New Member

Dec 15, 2008

handprint in plaster in a pie plate then spraypaint it with gold colored paint.