Gifts for Custodial Staff?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teachfrog, Jul 12, 2007.

1. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Happy Thursday! I am a first year K teacher. Coincidentally, I am running a summer camp at the same school where I will be teaching in the fall. Because of this, I've already built a great relationship with the custodial staff there. They are FABULOUS! They've already done several nice things for me (switching out my chalkboard for a whiteboard, taking extra care when cleaning my room, etc). I was thinking I'd make them some banana bread but I wanted everyone's thoughts on something nice I could do for them before school starts. Thanks for your ideas!;)

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

We gave our custodial staff presents at the holiday and end of the year. It's a must for all they do for us throughout the year. We give gift certificates...

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2007

Food is always good! :)

The year I switched classrooms (voluntarily) two days before school started and I needed a lot of help from the custodians, I went a little further, and got them each sweatshirts from their favorite sports teams.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

We have a great custodial staff as well. I've never been in a school so clean! The ladies at night are extra appreciated because they wash the blackboard (yeah, I know...who puts blackboards in new schools?) every single night and make them look brand new for each new day. Do you know what a giant relief it is knowing I have a "fresh canvas" every morning? So, making them some goodies is definitely a good idea. Because the ladies who do my board work late - until about a eleven I believe - I gave them a gift certificate to order in pizza. The bread sounds like a great gift! Anything to let them know how much they are appreciated. :)

6. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I think almost any type of gift will suffice. The custodial staff would love to be recognized and appreciated in any way, shape or form.

http://www.educationbuffet.com

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I agree, I have the most wonderful lady taking care of my room. She does a great job and I know that the school does not have enough custodians for the size of our campus. Knowing that makes her even more special.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2007

Gifts for the custodial staff is always a nice idea. :) They will appreciate it, I'm sure, as mine always do!

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2007

Movie card?
    Our custodian lost his bride a few years back. I often give him some leftovers or a few cookies from our batch. He loves this!
    It doesn't matter what you do as much as doing something.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

I bring in coffee for them a couple of times a month and a tray of "treats" or a box of doughnuts about once a term. Honestly, it doesn't have to be big, the thought really does count. (Today I had to go in to pick up my laptop which had been re-imaged--although we were told very clearly not to go into the school, 4 large coffees gained me admission!)

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

Our facilites staff is so good to me!! I love the idea of coffee and a tray of treats. Buying lunch is kind of expensive for me.

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

We used to have the best chief custodian in the world. Sigh. We are the smallest school in the county, so we are teh first stop for head custodians, and if they do a good job, they move on, and he did.

Our last two have been terrible. I've never been in a place so filthy.

We have a new one who starts this summer, a lady. I have my fingers crossed.

I know our custodians always, always like any sort of food.
    Kim

13. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

I think that is a great idea. We invite ours to drop by our parties for a treat. A some point durign the year, we make thank you cards and give them a treat bag from the whole class. It makes a huge difference to the custodians to knwo they are so appreciated. We also do cards for the lunch staff.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

I think this year I may get some bagels from the new Panera Bread and put it out for custodians/front office. It's always good to let people know you appreciate them. :)

15. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 12, 2007

We have two of the greatest guys at our school! One likes treats and the other eats mostly healthy things. They both have gone out of their way to help me so I bought them each a case of water at the end of the year for when they are working in the hot school. We have air conditioning only in the office and teachers' room. So when they are doing the floors, etc., they get very hot.

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 12, 2007

BMAK- What a great idea!!! We always have lots of leftovers from the class parties!! I never thought of inviting the facilities department.