Gifted students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lotte, May 20, 2009.

1. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 20, 2009

I'm looking for more information on how to teach the gifted and talented. I know they need challenges their level, but what exactly should they be challenged on? How?
    Does anyone have any examples?
    Or can help with tips of good websites?
    Is it possible to take a college course online about teaching the gifted and talented?
    What do YOU do to help gifted kids in your classroom? How do you challenge them?

I want to learn more about this both as a teacher and also as a mother of a gifted child.

:cool::thanks:

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Which grade to do you teach and how old is your child?

There are classes you can take on line I'm sure.

You can find some resources at National Assoc. of Gifted Children.

Here is a link to educator resources: http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=652 There is info on parenting there as well.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

This is another good site for info on parenting and teaching gifted kids: http://hoagiesgifted.com/

Also, pick up the books by Susan Winebrenner. They are full of information about how to work with gifted/academically talented kids.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Here are some books I would recommend as a parent:

The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids by Sally Yahnke Walker

Helping Gifted Children Soar by Carol A. Strip- more for early childhood and elementary

The Gifted Kids’ Survival Guide (A Teen Handbook) by Judy Galbraith

The Gifted Kids’ Survival Guide (ages 10 and under) by Judy Galbraith

I'd also recommend you join your local Gifted and Talented organization. If you're in Texas, it is probably part of TAGT. If not it might be called GATES. They do lots of fun activities for GT kids and with you being a teacher I'm sure they'd love to have you on their board:)

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Oh Yes Ms. R. is right. This book, in particular, would be a good place to start for a teacher book on GT.

Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom, by Susan Weinbrenner.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 20, 2009

8. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 20, 2009

I teach different grades, have been subbing so far. 1 year in each class but mostly 1.-2. grade. But really any age is interesting!

My child will turn 7 but that's a special "gifted" case called Einstein syndrome. Any information about that would be good too. I have read one book about it, but it just explained how the syndrome appears and what's similar and not. I didn't find many tips and ideas.

Unfortunately they don't have programs for gifted and talented kids here and the teachers don't focus on it, so it's really up to the parents.. (Very few teachers know about the challenges gifted students might have and how to stimulate them, but I figure if I learn a lot about it, maybe I could share.. I mean it has got to start somewhere :rolleyes:

:thanks: For all answers. More are appreciated.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 20, 2009

I would also recommend Sen Gifted (Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted). I think many teachers have misconceptions about gifted students that interfere with their teaching and with education generally. I also further believe that a lot of psychological diagnoses may be made based on these misconceptions.

As a parent, it is alternately a source of pride and a PITA to have a gifted child, probably weighing a bit more heavily on the PITA side. My oldest and youngest are gifted (the oldest has been tested, for the youngest I just know). The oldest has had a lot of behavioral difficulties in American schools (interestingly, no difficulties in Japanese school), even though the material is trivial for him. He needs to be challenged, though -- when we moved from a school district that did not have a strong language-arts focus, mostly due to the population, to one with a strong language-arts focus, he went from reading second-grade material to 7th/8th grade material in about 3 months.

10. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 20, 2009

It's strange how much the school and environment has to say. My child's first grade teacher has spent the entire 1. grade trying to find out which level our child should be on. The class (state)curricula says numbers 1-10 is appropriate for 1. grade. Our child's teacher told us two weeks ago that they have started teaching our child multiplication -now doing the 7 times table which is about the right level now at age 6 1/2. I just wish it didn't take so long for her to figure out the level. Who knows what else that could have been learned by now..? Oh well.. At least she has tried. At that area.. Other ares are still not adjusted..

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Having taught identified gifted kids for 10 years and having a Masters in Gifted Ed, I've seen and heard a lot of misconceptions about gifted kids, their needs and other teacher's biases and dislikes. It's amazing how these kids are used as tutors, hated because they have a gift... but oh, if a kid is athletically gifted it's different, how they sit in regular classrooms and are forced to have brain rot, and how they're actually picked on, bullied by other kids and teachers and it's condoned.

In my opinion, gifted kids should have an IEP as specific as a special ed kid, it's amazing at the money spent on special ed children (I don't want to take anything from them) but those kids who are truly gifted are often treated adversely.

We all have to be advocates for these kids, parents really have to do it. I've been told by my P "We're just not that kind of a school to take care of needs for a child that smart." This was a time when I really put my head on the block and had my 160 I.Q. kid start taking algebra across the street at the jr. high, he had an adult accompany him and yes it was inconvenient, but his needs were served.

Most ideally, students should be thoroughly tested to see where they are in their academic life and start instruction there, it's not commonly done which is regrettable.

If you have a gifted child, make sure you provide as much stimulus as you can at home, find out what they're interested in and make it bloom. Regrettably, most public schools aren't going to meet their needs.

Back to the OP, take an interest inventory to see what the child is interested in, test them, compact curriculum, stimulate them with books, do individual projects, check the websites above, they're excellent.

On me... I didn't mean to rant...

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

Excellent post Hoot Owl.... I have two close friends who are GT teachers.... and they both call me first when they need a sub.... I love teaching these kids..

Major.......:):)

13. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 21, 2009

I second the Weinbrenner book! It provides a lot of great differentiation ideas for ANY kids.

I agree Hoot that GT kids should have IEPs as well. Some states include GT funding in their SpEd budgets, but not mine. Our district's services for GT are shamefully minimal.

14. Lotte

Lotte Companion

May 21, 2009

My boy actually has an IEP :rolleyes: , and got signed 4 hours a week with an extra teacher, but it hasn't worked well to send him out of the classroom with that teacher so he stays in the classroom.
    The IEP has goals, but I don't think the goals are met or focused on.
    His teacher says that even though he knows a lot, doesn't always manage to explain how he does things, like calculations, so she wants him to do everything with the class so he can do it the same way as them, and not his way.

I will be checking out the websites posted this weekend. (We'll be meeting the teacher again to discuss the IEP and I'ld like to have some suggestions -anything to help my child reach his full potential. )
    And hopefully learn alot of how to help these students when they come to my class as well.

:thumb: :thanks:

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 21, 2009

I have an incredible teaching position. My kids are ready to learn and their minds are like little sponges. We have more than adequate funding, and I've never been turned down for anything I've requested. The parents can be a bit of a pain sometimes with their over-protectiveness, but I generally don't have much of a problem.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2009

Oh, how true that the schools do not want to help the gifted child. I am fighting--nicely--with my grandson's school to offer him more. As a previous poster said, I enhance his learning by providing projects for him at home. He has to keep busy. His ant farm freaks me out. He loves to read to me. He helps me with my crossword puzzles. I plan to have him paint my fence this summer. When these kids get smarter than the adults in their life, it gets difficult.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2009

Though, truly, gifted kids don't need all the adults in their lives to be smarter than they so much as they need them to be wiser.

18. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

So true H/Owl! My daughter was in a GATE program that was not doing much for her in Middle School. They were having her go work with younger and challenged students most of the time. She needed to be challenged with harder work for her own education BUT it didn't happen. She started to just do the minimum to get by and WE HAD TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Anyway, I hope that they will do something better for these children in the future, in the public schools.
    Rebel1

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 22, 2009

Rebel 1, dont' let them exploit your daughter like that, she deserves to be challenged.

20. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 22, 2009

Teachers have far more weapons and better defenses in any kind of dispute with parents -- so a lot of parents won't fight as long as the teacher isn't actively breaking their child. It's simply too risky.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2009

True. Or some of us, understanding what a teacher we're fond of is up against, judge that rocking the boat is pointless.

22. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

May 23, 2009

A sad pattern I have seen--kid who is absolutely brilliant in Math, catches on to major aspects of calculus with a quick read, etc.--gets no , is verbally picked on by teachers, gets a job out of high school. Another kid, bright but not exceptionally so, gets a PhD in math, a post-doc at Harvard and is now a math professor. (Both are children of friends of mine). "Smart" does v. well in life, while "exceptionally brilliant" gets shuffled to one side--unless you're Bill Gates. It is not just the kids, our country needs these v. intelligent kids working at what they'e good at.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2009

This country is deeply, deeply ambivalent about intelligence, I'm afraid: I sometimes wonder how many Bill Gateses we've lost because very intelligent kids realized very young that people like them better when they shut up and shut down.

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 25, 2009

She's in College right now. She took 2 years off for volunteer work. She is a strong believer in helping others. (Bless her heart.) We've advised her so many times that it's a great thing to do. On the other hand, nobody is going to help her UNLESS she does something about it.:D, and I hope it's finally sinking in.:)
    Rebel1

25. raneydae

raneydae Companion

May 26, 2009

The Hoagie's Gifted site (already mentioned) is a well-known one: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

Also, I think you said your son was 6 1/2? If so, he might be too young for this now, but it's something to consider: Have you heard of Center for Talented Youth? http://cty.jhu.edu/ I'm actually teaching one of their summer programs this year. I'm really excited!