Gifted Students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

This year, about 25% of my small class will qualify for a gifted program which means these students leave my classroom 4 days per week for about an hour each day. Can anyone give me suggestions on what I should do with the rest of the class while these kids are gone? Obvious answers are handwriting, spelling, silent reading....but I want to have a productive hour. My 4th grade schedule is packed to the rim with teaching time as it is, (haven't been blessed with "gifted" kids in the last few years, so this hasn't been an issue) and am trying to figure out what to plan. I'm just wondering what other teachers expect from the gifted as far as making up what they miss while out of the room? If I teach spelling to the rest of the class, does this mean that the gifted students never do spelling with me? On a side note, these kids may be labeled gifted but many still struggled with last year's regular curriculum.

3. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I am required to give them the work we do, but they are not required to do it. Most are high achievers, and will do it anyway, at the beginning of the year, but not so much at the end. I don't change my schedule around, except that I make sure they do not misss tests or quizzes. They are responsible for any info they missed. We only do 1 day a week for 2 hrs though, 4 day, would be kind of difficult to teach around. Good lUck!

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

If we (any teacher in the school where I teach) feel the child is suffering in school work because of the gifted program, we can take them out. GT is a privilege.

On that note, when my GT kids left, I would set their work by their school bags and they would do it for homework. They are held fully accountable for anything they miss.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2006

My gifted kids leave one whole day per week and that might be easier although it does cause problems. Have you thought about doing reading and/or math groups at this time? I couldn't take a whole hour to do spelling or handwriting. Generally my gifted kids don't have any trouble with the regular curriculum, but actually doing it may be a different story.

6. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I was our GT cluster teacher the last couple of years. I always focused on doing small group reteaching, mini-lessons or reading groups when my GT kids were gone. I also might reveiw for quizzes, tests, or do some reading comp that I knew my GT kids could go without doing. We also did our literacy centers at that time and I just excused my GT kids from a certain number of those stations each week.

7. flteacher7

flteacher7 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

I think that part of the time that your GT students are out of the room would be perfect for small reading groups and/or remediation in reading, writing, or math. If you work with the struggling students during this time, then when the GT students return, you will be able to give them more attention, since you have worked with other students while they were gone. Just a thought! Good luck! :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 16, 2006

This next year, I will be teaching an enrichment Reading, Science, and Social Studies class, where 5 out of 23 of my students will go to Gifted one day a week. Two of those students are in my homeroom. In addition to these two boys this year, I had two from my homeroom last year and three from my first homeroom who went to Gifted for one day a week. I go along with my literature circles and regular instruction, anyway. The other eighteen students in my enrichment class need the instruction as well. The Gifted students still get a heads-up on what they are missing, and sometimes I go over to them and review what they missed during morning work time.

9. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 16, 2006

When my kids are pulled for GT, I teach a "modified" version of the GT lesson. For example, if the kids are doing a lesson on probability, I do the same with the students left in class. We (GT teacher and I) plan together. This has worked really well for us.:) We make sure to use the same terminology so the kids can discuss/continue the activities later in the day.