gifted sixth-grade classroom

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by NikkiT, Sep 17, 2010.

1. NikkiT

NikkiT Rookie

Sep 17, 2010

Hi. I have an interview on Monday for a sixth-grade gifted classroom. The whole class would be gifted. Does anyone else have a classroom like this and/or any suggestions or advice for me? When I was in elementary school they just pulled us once a week for GATE (gifted and talented education). In subbing I've also never been to a school that actually has entire classes of gifted kids together for the whole day, everyday. This interview is in a very, very large school district and they have gifted centers in certain elementary schools. So, that is why they can have whole classes of gifted kids. Anyway, my closest experience to this is being a LTS for a fifth-grade, so I'm a bit nervous. I did pass the Middle School (7-9) Praxis tests for math and language arts, though. If you know anything about this, or just have ideas for a sixth-grade interview in general, please let me know!:)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2010

I would focus on student centered learning, independent learning contracts, workshop type learning. Those seem to be big in our district for gifted students.

Also, focus on parental involvement. I've noticed that many of our gifted students have parents who are more involved. These parents also tend to need lots of communication. Maybe talk up creating a class website to keep parents informed, emails and phone calls with parents when needed, etc.

4. readingteacher

readingteacher New Member

Apr 20, 2011

Those are good ideas. You can also mention "inquiry-based learning" where students will enrich their learning by investigating a question or topic of their choosing that is related to a theme in your class.

"Higher order questioning techniques" are also a big one for gifted students. Challenging students by asking questions where students will evaluate, analyze, and synthesize as opposed to simply recalling or summarizing.

I teach advanced 6th grade readers and these are some of the concepts that my administrators have really encouraged us to utilize.

Good luck at your interview! They sure are nerve-wracking!