gifted preschooler

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ad65shorty, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Nov 3, 2007

Okay, this is a personal question, but I really need some advice! I'm just not sure what to do. I have a three-year-old son (turned 3 in August). He is very bright. Part of that, I credit to being in my home preschool since he was an infant. I do not have him enrolled in a preschool this year because I thought it was critical that he stayed home one year with me while I did not teach preschool. We do "school" every day though, which is something we both look forward to. Here's my dilemma, and I just need some professional advice. My son knows all of his letters and sounds. He has a lot of those pre-reading skills mastered, such as rhyming, "pretending" to read, "pointing" at words while reading, etc. The other day he surprised me by saying, "Buh, buh, blue. What starts with blue? B!" and has continued with that this week. He catches on to everything quickly and has an amazing memory. I feel like if I worked with him--at his pace, of course--he would be able to blend sounds and begin reading. But my husband and I decided to wait on that so he has something to learn when he does finally go to school (namely kindergarten). We don't want him to be bored. But lately, I feel like I'm stifling him by not progressing to the next stage I feel like he's ready for. Advice?! Should I continue to do alphabet activities to "solidify" his knowledge and hope he doesn't get bored? Or should I move on to the next step now and hope he doesn't get bored in the future? Or is there something else I can do that's in between that I just haven't thought of?! Please HELP!!!

*sorry this is so long*

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 3, 2007

If he is ready, then teach him! Children should learn at their own pace. Why does he need to wait until kindergarten? If he is already showing signs and he WANTS to learn, then please do not hold him back. There will be plenty for him to do when he gets to kindergarten.

4. smyl

smyl Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

I agree, if anything exposing him to any information will help solidify his knowledge of subject once he is presented with it again. I expose my preschoolers to all the dolch sight words. I don't expect them to learn them, however, the kinder teachers have told me that many of my ex students tell them "oh I remember that word, I learned it in Pre-k"

5. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

Make sure he is being socialized enough! As much as pre-reading skills are great, its also important that he is learning social cues from friends, etc.

You can help him with letter sounds, and a great preschool will have incidental teachings that adapt to his level to help him with that as well.

I just worry that he won't get as much exposure to social things if he is just at home. My kids learn so much from each other every day!

I'm not saying you aren't socializing him, just trying to stress the importance of socialization in preschool if he isn't already exposed to that sort of environment.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 4, 2007

The original post indicates that the kid's mom ran a preschool till this year; I'm not sure I see much wrong with him having Mom to himself for a while.

ad65shorty, take him on adventures; take him on errands; mull over with him what it might say on the signs and notices and all. Read to him - things he's interested in, things you're interested in that you can share with him; use big words, and explain them as you go. Play with words and numbers. Think aloud. When he reaches a conclusion, ask him in a friendly way what makes him think so; sometimes, but by no means always, suggest that he could consider this or that factor. Model for him how people wait in line, and praise him when he does it well. Find things he could do that really do need to be done, and thank him for his help.

Find some new things to do that neither of you does really well, and let him see you not do it perfectly, and let him see you enjoy it anyway. Very bright kids need to know it's okay not to be the best at everything right off, and they need to know it's okay to need help sometimes.

Above all, enjoy your son.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2007

Don't forget play and motor skills. I see many children who have been taught really well by their parents but dont know how to run, play, jump etc. One I have this year went through all sorts of tests because his muscle tone was so bad they were afraid he may have a disease. Mom admits he never goes outside to play - just doesn't want to. He can read at 5 but is lacking so many other skills. We want well rounded, social, fit children. If he doesn't go to school this year make sure he is in other activities involving children.

8. smyl

smyl Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

I've been working with 3& 4 yr olds for almost 18 yrs, I almost alway see that even my brightest children need more activities to help them develop fine motor skill and social skills. I had the same problem with my child being class clown when she was bored, which normally got her into trouble. She was reading level one books when she first entered kinder. The one thing that I always stressed to her was to let her teacher know that she was done or bored and to ask for more challenging tasks. After her teacher caught on that she knew more than the teacher assumed she knew, she was put into the G.A T.E. program. In the mean time, my child would help other children in her group or wrote in her home journal which she shared with mom & dad after dinner. It kept her busy and also kept me informed as to what went on in her class every day.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 4, 2007

Sunday School, Bible School, extra activities are important. He isn't old enough for 4-H, but it is a wonderful extra activity.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2007

If you want to keep him home with you...please do so! I work in a private school/day care and I feel terrible for those kids who get up and are there by 7:15 AM!!!! ughh....Most of the parents are both working and would rather "keep up with the Joneses" than take off for a few years (at least one of them) and stay with their babies. sheesh!

on the other end...I would not have a job if there weren't two working parents! :lol:

My hubby and I made the decision for me (yes!) to stay home with the kids til they were both ready for kinder; and yes...they were both Very ready and at the top of their class - and no, they were not lacking in social skills at all.

11. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Like the fine motor things, let him work on writing shapes, his name, mom, dad, etc. Let him practice cutting. Work on your phone number, address, etc. Go on a nature walk, visit your science center, go to a museum. Play board games and work on taking turns and not winning all the time. If he loves words (my three year old sounds exactly like yours) let him start typing words on the computer ( we do names, and basic words like play, yes, no, go, etc). There are some fantastic websites that work on this stuff: pbskids.org, starfall.com, . Let him learn as much as he can now, but just keep making it fun like I am sure you are. I wish I had the ability to stay home, but like many families I work. I teach kindergarten, and I am blessed to see how much he loves learning! When he gets to real school, his teachers can help challenge him. You keep enjoying him. Keep up the good work!

12. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Thank you so much for the ideas. I mainly just needed to know that it was okay to teach him to read at this age, that I wasn't being psycho.

I am fortunate that he is a very well-rounded child. We do "school" every day and study a new topic every week. We go to the library weekly for story hour and then to check out books on our topic. We also take a weekly field trip on Fridays to a place that coordinates with what we're learning about.

We also do play dates with either a group of people from our neighborhood or a one-on-one playdate often. We also attend a church where he has other teachers and is allowed to play with other children. He also has a handful of friends in the neighborhood he plays with on a daily basis. If I was worried about him socially, I would've enrolled him in a preschool this year. He is VERY social--almost too much so!!

I don't worry about any of his other areas of development either. He loves to cut, paste, color, etc. He is exposed to a variety of fine motor activities daily. He loves puzzles and can put together the more advanced ones. He plays outside every day, and through the winter, he takes a little mom and me gym class to work on his large motor skills. And I promise that he's not overscheduled, as much as this may sound.

He also has this AMAZING imagination!!! He is always making up stories. He is very creative with his toys and the things we have around the house. I am surprised by the things he comes up with sometimes.

He's just your all-around great kid! I am so lucky to be his mom!! And even more lucky that I get to stay home with him and enjoy his cute little personality on a daily basis!

Thank you for your advice! It really has been helpful--even helpful to know that I am working with him in other areas that I hadn't even thought about. Thanks again!

13. smyl

smyl Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

Yes keep him with you as long as possible, they grow up so fast. After my chid graduated high school I looked back and laughed at how many times I worried about sending her off to school and thinking she would be bored and not enjoy school. She is in College now, she often challenges (irritates) her profesors with info. on latest discoveries. She grew up to be a very self confident child who enjoys learning, I hope yours does too. Enjoy the time you have with him and challenge him with fun learning activities while you can. You sound like you are doing an awsome job!