gifted endorsement vs national certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, May 19, 2012.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 19, 2012

I'm thinking of getting a gifted endorsement added to my certificate. I'm inspired because of a student I had this year and realized that I didn't have as much training in this area as I need. I've looked at a few programs. My employer is also pushing for the teachers to get it to remain competitive against a competing school nearby. There are two programs that are offered in GA that require two semesters of course work and I will have to pay around three thousand dollars for the classes. I could start asap and have it done by January or so.

I've always wanted national board certification. Its about the same cost wise. But takes a year to complete all the requirements.

If you had to choose, which one would you go for and why?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 19, 2012

I would do the gifted endorsement. This adds a certificate area and extra pay (as it is master's level coursework). Plus this is what your principal is pushing for.

National Boards are very time consuming and I know a lot of teachers who have tried only to have major break downs along the way.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 19, 2012

National Board can actually take up to 3 years. I started it this year and was in a support class for help. They said that only 20% of teachers pass the first time (and it costs an extra $350 per area you retake). I think National Board Certification would be better for your career, but if you're wanting something that doesn't take as long, then you might want to do the gifted endorsement.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 19, 2012

I would do the gifted endorsement this year and National Boards the following year. The gifted is a "sure thing." It will also give you more experience/background that can then be applied to your National Board endeavor.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 21, 2012

This is correct...I am certified in Early Childhood and actually recertified. It is very time consuming and it was great. It was a great experience. The first time I did it in two years and the second time in one year.

7. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 22, 2012

oh lordy, I didnt know that it too that long!!! I am considering getting certified next year, now I have to think about that.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 22, 2012

I'm currently a National Board Candidate and the process is exhausting!! However, it has also changed me in positive ways more than any graduate course, real world experience or professional development before. Good luck with your decision.