Gifted Education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Maryhf, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2012

I am interested in learning how gifted and talented students are taught in your middle school. At mine, they go to a classroom and do independent study and enter contests. My son had a different experience at his middle school. I know some teachers are integrated into certain classed to enrich a greater number of students. We may be changing how we do things so I'd be grateful for any input. Thanks.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2012

We keep our gifted and talented students mixed in for science and social studies. However, we offer different reading, writing, and math classes for our gifted and talented students.

4. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Feb 16, 2012

At my high school, we have gifted and talented students mixed in with all students. The only class they all have different, is that they all have a higher level english class than any of the other students. That's all that's really different.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2012

Our Gifted kids are shuffled into "honors" courses with kids who managed to score proficient on both language and math but show no gifted "tendecies." We use the money allocated to them for whatever we want and that rarely means them. They get ignored almost entirely and by almost entirely I mean entirely.

I did get to teach Gifted Enrichment as an elective one year and that was awesome (for them and for me) but it went away as quickly as it came.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2012

At our middle school gifted education is a pull-out program just like special ed. They go to an enrichment class where they do things like research projects or academic contests. It's the same as our elementary program- I know because we're a k-8. However, I will say this is the only school I've ever been in that actually has a pull-out gifted program (I worked in 10 different schools in college, as well as the schools I attended of course). It seems to me that a lot of it is regional- in my home state, pull-out programs mostly did not exist for anything, gifted or special ed. It was the common belief that all students must be educated in the general ed classroom 100% of the day with various supports- either a push-in special ed teacher for sped or enrichment projects within the classroom for gifted- they were "full inclusion" schools. At my school, since we pull out sped students for lessons, it only seems logical to everyone that we also pull out gifted students for lessons since neither of these things are really able to take place with fidelity in the general ed classroom. I also think that with budget cuts, if schools can get rid of their gifted programs that's one of the first things to go. I believe gifted education is required in my state but I'm pretty sure it's not required in every state.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 16, 2012

Our gifted students have core classes taught at the gifted phase with only gifted students in the classroom.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2012

This sounds just like we do it. Our teacher is retiring and I thought we might revamp a bit but maybe they won't even hire anyone to replace her.
    Thanks for the input everyone!

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 16, 2012

We do "honors" as well. No pull outs.

10. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Feb 16, 2012

The K8 school I work at is the "center school" for gifted in my county. All identified gifted students are taught by teachers certified in gifted, and nearly all classes for these students are homogeneous. Our program is growing every year, and we even have people moving from other counties to enroll their children in our program, since it is one of the few full gifted programs in the area.

11. holliday

holliday Comrade

Feb 16, 2012

In New Mexico, gifted is considered special education so all students who qualify must have IEP's. They are taught in at least some segregated gifted classes (in my middle school, we offer gifted science, language arts, a tutorial, and next year we will offer gifted math and a seminar).

To teach gifted here, a teacher must have passed the Praxis II gifted education test and after July of this year, they must also have 24 credits in gifted education (right now, it's only 12).

I teach gifted language arts and am the IEP facilitator for my grade level. Most of my classes are about 8-9 kids.