Gifted and Talented

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by iteachm123, Sep 7, 2013.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

I have several students in my fourth grade ELA classes that would benefit from having gifted and talented activities/instruction. This group of students scored advanced or accelerated on the Ohio Achievement Assessment. I don't want to stifle their growth so I need to include them in my differentiation. Any ideas are appreciated! :thanks:

3. janis

janis Companion

Sep 13, 2013

What technology do you have access to (iPads, desktops, etc)?

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 13, 2013

Have they been tested for gifted? They should be getting service through the gifted program, and you should have access to Resources to meet their IEP goals. If they haven't been tested, you should follow your district's procedure for starting that process.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 13, 2013

Where I work there is no gifted program and they don't get an IEP plan. They do get a letter that says they qualified, that's about it.

They certainly deserve more.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 13, 2013

I'm fortunate enough to be able to teach a classroom with all gifted kids. The resource I'd probably consider best for differentiating in a mixed-ability group is a program called Jacob's Ladder. This would fit well in a guided reading setting or as an independent study. An I-Search would also be a wonderful way to allow them to learn and grow on a topic of their choice. The Navigators series from William & Mary would also be a good choice for a novel study. The beauty of all three of these programs is that once you get the kids pointed in the right direction, they will be able to work fairly independently. You could probably also use aspects of the Reading Above program with these kids.

7. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Sep 16, 2013

2 resources that are free

Teach them how to play chess/sudoku. Great brain exercise.

Get books at a higher level that are about their interests. Use http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/ to find the books.

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 20, 2013

I taught in a gifted program for years. What some educators don't get is that a gifted 8 year old is still just an 8 year old. These children don't have the emotional development to fully understand adolescent literature. If a brilliant 2nd grade genius loves Captain Underpants, then that's ok for him to read.

My 2 cents:
    In a general education class, gifted students should not be put into a corner with a workbook or iPad. They should not be turned into a tutor for struggling peers (unless they love it).

Their needs can be met by using literature as an instructional device for reading/writing. Avoid basals and graded programs. Assign projects and not work sheets or workbooks.

Math can be advanced, but in general, the gifted students should be with the class during the experiments and projects, but encouraged to go farther. Let them pick a partner(s) for extended projects and allow other students to attempt these.

9. lcr

lcr Companion

Nov 5, 2013

Give an optional pretest before each math unit. If the student scores a 90% or higher, let them participate in independent math projects. Their grade for the unit will be the pretest score. If they need help in a particular area, call them back to whole group for instruction.