Gifted and Talented

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissH225, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

This past year I was a team teacher (2nd and 4th) at a school for identified gifted students. I really didn't find too much of a difference...there was still behavior issues, still different levels of kids in the class, etc. So now I may have an interview for a Gifted Teacher but I think it is more of a pull out thing to enhance their learning.....

Here's part of the job description:
    As a gifted & talented teacher you will help school committees identify high ability students and teach units developed to stimulate, educate, and interest students in areas not usually covered in regular classrooms.

What kind of things would I do for these kids? I know they will ask me how/what I'd teach to enhance their learning but really it's all stuff I'd do with any other kid by meeting them at their level....is this sounding right?

Also (sorry for long post) any book suggestions for teaching Gifted Kids? I never thought I'd have any interest in teaching these kids but this past year was amazing! :)

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 22, 2010

2 websites I'd recommend:

http://www.byrdseed.com/

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

The 1st will send e-mail updates if you sign up with them.

I'm not as familiar with the duties of a pull-out teacher because we have self-contained GT classes-but basically you are challenging the kids to go deeper into what they are learning. Identifying patterns in things like stories and science as opposed to just math. Seeing things from another perspective, comparing/contrasting 2 concepts. Getting them to think beyond the basic objective-make connections across the disciplines-apply what they are learning in various ways-projects, etc.

I also see kids on all different academic levels and there are behavior problems as well. It's one of the education myths that bothers me (I hear it from my own co-workers) that teaching GT is easier than teaching a regular classroom-I think it's very challenging (but in a good way-they keep you on your toes). I have kids leaving Kinder who can read on a 3rd grade level and kids who still struggle with sight words. Just remember GT instruction isn't going up levels academically, it's going deeper into the grade level objectives. I don't know what grade levels your position would cover, but these are some of the projects I've done with my kids in early childhood. http://notjustchildsplay.blogspot.com/

Sorry it's such a long response-I could go on all day! :) Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
    Good luck!

4. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 22, 2010

Here are a couple key things I remember doing in "Horizons" in elementary school.

1. studying architecture and creating a bridge out of toothpicks. We also studied money management with this project and had to buy the glue, toothpicks, etc. At the end we had a contest for the most structurally sound bridge. I believe this was 3rd or 4th grade?

2. balancing a checkbook. We had an income, mortgage payments, car payments, etc. This project helped me a lot as far as understanding money, bills, and even how to write a check. (4th grade)

3. carrying for a baby. We did the project where we carried around a little egg for a month. We had to document feeding, changing, play time, etc. The egg had to be in the care of someone at all times. I'm not sure I learned anything from this project, but it was fun..(4th grade)

4. Stock Market. We were given an amount of "money" to invest and we kept track of it for several months using a newspaper. I had no clue what the stock market was before this project (5th grade, I think)

5. We spent several months playing a game I don't remember very well... it had something to do with crossing the Sahara Desert? It was probably supposed to teach us history and geography, but I don't remember anything other than how fun it was.

Other that this I remember playing lots of "mind games," solving mysteries, applying concepts we were learning in the classroom, and TONS of problem solving work.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

We have pullout at our school. The students typically go for math in third and in 4th and 5th they go for reading/language arts and math. They simply are able to go more in depth with their assignments. The math is typically more higher level thinking, challenging, hands-on, and real life related. Hope that helps :)

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

I have self-contained, identified gifted kids and they're still kids. It makes me angry when other teachers tell my kids, "Well, you're gifted you should know better than to act that way." They're still kids with the same problems as other kids. You go deeper with these kids, the higher level of Bloom's Taxonomy. Instead of just reading reader theater scripts, they write their own. They'll do a lot more problem solving. Our campus competes in chess tournaments, Quiz Bowl, Mind Odyssey, and anything else that comes our way.

You would love a pull-out program, I'd prefer it too but my district does the self-contained model.