Gifted 4th grade ELA

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by reneeinms, Jun 26, 2014.

1. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jun 26, 2014

I will be teaching two ELA and social studies classes of children who are all gifted and scored proficient in all areas, but some may have ELA as their weakness. I was told that my 4th graders will all be at grade level to 10.0 reading level. Both of my classes will have approximately 15 children each.

The materials I have from the district are the same as all of the other students, so they are not geared toward gifted children. I am planning to use Jacob's Ladder. Do any of you have any experience with teaching gifted ELA? Do you have any advice? I will be a first year teacher, so I could use all of the help I could get!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

I'm a gifted third grade teacher. I'd recommend more or less ignoring the materials from your district... odds are, it won't be good for gifted kiddos. I'd look into the LA and SS units from William and Mary. There are a lot of word study programs geared towards gifted kids, also. Make sure you have a plan for literature circles, because you'll want to spend a lot more time doing them than any type of guided reading program. You might also want to look into the Reading Above program. Basically, that one revolves around students setting their own learning goals based on their independent reading, while you have individual conferences with each student.

The big thing to remember with gifted kids is that they are still kids first. I'd recommend you try to take some coursework in gifted ed if you have the chance.

4. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

Yes, anything from William & Mary is great! Junior Great Books is also great. Think about the big picture and in themes. Gather books for Book Clubs that have a common theme, like change, power, or relationships. Google Problem-Based learning to find ways to integrate SS and reading, too.

5. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

Thank you so much!
    The district is trying to find funding to send us all to class to get the gifted certification, but that will not help right away!

Thank you both for the tips. I am going to look at those ideas right now. The principal said that word study would be very important for them.

6. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jun 28, 2014

Check out Michael Clay Thompson resources at Royal Fireworks Press. He has a lot for grammar and word study. You migh want Grammar Voyage or Grammar Town and then Cesar's English for vocabulary. Good luck!

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

Sigh... I really wish the MCT stuff for third grade was any good. The stuff for fourth grade and up is really good... but we are mandated to use the third grade stuff, which is worse than useless.

8. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jun 29, 2014

Thanks for the tips. I'll look at those too. Let me tell you what we have in case anyone can give any insight to using it with gifted children. We have Journeys and Wordly Wise 3000.