Gift to give to students and mentor teacher?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katyl1510, Nov 19, 2009.

1. katyl1510

katyl1510 Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

I am nearing the end of my placement in the schools and I would like to give each student a small gift. I was thinking of putting together small gift bags with ... pencils, pencil grippers, erasers, stickers, hershey kisses or other small candies.... Any other ideas???

Also I want to give my mentor teacher a small gift to show my appreciation, I have learned so much from her and she has really been a great mentor teacher. She has been teaching for several years and has a lot of "teacher decorations" i.e. wall hangings, mugs, etc. What would be a good idea that would be useful? What would a you- ateacher appreciate receiving? I don't want to get her something that she won't find all that useful.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Nov 19, 2009

I would like a gift certificate to Hallmark. Being so near the holidays I would have no problem using it in that store. Also, I personally feel that gift bags to students isn't necessary. Why not have a small "going away" party if you feel you must do something. If it is permissible in the school district why not bring in brownies, chocolate chip cookies, or donut holes. I think the kids would enjoy that. I know mine would.

4. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 19, 2009

For the students choose something that can be used in the class again and again. Maybe a new quality read aloud or the big book version of a favorite read aloud.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2009

I bought my cooperating teacher a copy of a book I had used for one of my writing lessons that she had commented she liked.

I would agree about the gift bags, too. Is there some kind of supply the students might need for the rest of the year? Something for the class would be simpler and more memorable for the kids. The gift bag might soon be forgotten...

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 19, 2009

I bought the class a few books, one to say goodbye... Annie Bannanie (sp), and a few others for class to use during their ocean unit. I wrote a personalized note to the class inside. I also gave them a hersey hug to let them know they'd be missed. I gave my mentor teacher a personalized bag I got on ebay, and one of those wooden angels because she collected them.

Hope this helps!

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 19, 2009

My vote would be a gift certificate for the teacher and a little gift bag for the kids. Pencils etc but ask about the candy or chocolate.

Congrats on nearing completion! Try to get a group pic before you leave!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 20, 2009

I had no money, so I just wrote a card to every single student as well as to my co-operating teachers. I think it went well.

(My co-operating teacher/VP wanted me back at the school the following year)

9. love2read

love2read Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

I made goodie bags for my students: pencils, erasers, M&M's, and GummieSavers...they loved them!! I gave my teacher a gift card to Target (all the teachers I know LOVE Target, including myself). I also made her some baked goodies:)

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 20, 2009

What grade/age level did you work with? When I student taught (in first grade) I found a Winnie the Pooh notepad and made them each a personalized name card. Each had a picture of the child, his or her name, and what it meant. I was able to get them laminated at a resonable price. The kids loved them, and they were so easy to make!

11. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Nov 21, 2009

I gave my mentor teacher a gift certificate and a DJ Inkers clip art CD that she wanted. I also purchased a few books for the class library.